The Exquisite Peach - TANGO II - NJF17

I’ve reached out to them. I know they don’t issue “compensation for the lost 3 years”, but maybe they can send me an replacement.

2 Likes

Bob

here is a link to a time lapse of Tang o that I uploaded a couple of years ago

Mike

2 Likes

Not a donut peach. Now I’m trying to figure out what it is. It has just started to ripen recently. Large (7-8 oz), mostly yellow with a slight blush. Bright yellow flesh (I had a non-color blind person confirm). Only ~12 brix, but decent flavor, with a bit of acid kick. Any ideas?

I was thinking Victoria, but it is still a few weeks early for that, while half a dozen of the 20-30 peaches on the tree have fallen.

Several of the branches have been broken by a single peach…

Edit: Brix appears variable. This one was 14-15 brix, while some of the others in the last day were 10-12 brix. Even the lower brix ones had plenty of flavor and were pretty good. The 14+ brix one was quite good. All are good sized.

2 Likes

Do you have any other peaches to compare as a point of preference (in terms of ripening time)? If so, what was the peach that ripened just before this clearly not-Tangos II?

Also, blossoms? Showy? Nonshowy? take a picture of the leaf glands.

What is texture fresh picked? Is it rock hard crunchy? or soft melting? If it’s crunchy, does it turn to melting after a week on the counter? Or does it go rubbery?

Those would all be clues as to identity.

1 Like

Good thought- I went back to this spring, but couldn’t find any pics of the tree in bloom. I’ll need to wait for next year on that. Texture was on the firm side, but not a non-melting, at least not like Gloria.

In terms of timing, it was about 2.5-3 weeks after Loring. Which puts it slightly early for Victoria, but not by much (+22 vs +45 , so it should have been 23 days instead of maybe 18). But that is fairly close and it is hard to say the exact date where the fruit was best/ripe.

I did speak with one of the guys at the farmer’s market on Saturday. He said that they didn’t get many Victoria’s this year (I assume due to the low temps from a single day in Feb), but he would look around and see if he could find one to bring next week. I’m not sure the best way to describe it (pleasant, with a bit of acid, not a lot of floral/aromatics), but I think I’d be able to identify if a random sample matched it. Based on my description of it (timing, size, mostly yellow with a bit of blush, etc) they though there was a decent chance of a match.

I’m not sure if I liked them so much because I liked the variety, or because the tree was well thinned (mostly just from it being young). Brix got up to ~15, though some were down around 12. Still better than the Carolina Gold that I’ve been picking, which were often in the 9-12 rang (with a few 15-16 randomly thrown in). Interestingly, some people like the very aromatic 10 brix Carolina Gold over a 13 brix Victoria (?).

1 Like

What year did you order it? (I presume it was the year before the planting year.) There were peaches like Tiana that were added to ACN’s inventory in the past few years, so going by the current catalog won’t really help.

What peach ripened after this not-tango II for you? Or is this your latest ripening peach? Do you have carolina gold? If so, when did those ripen in relation to this one?

Loring is listed in Okie’s book at +16 (to redhaven) I believe, and @olpea has it at +19.

Victoria is +49 for me. Mark has it at +45.

Jerseyqueen and Redskin should be around +28, so it has to be something after those two (imo).

acn2017.pdf (7.9 MB)

Going off the 2017 catalog, my assumption would be 28-007, encore, autumnstar, laurol as possible candidates.

Btw what is the leaf gland (check mature leaf)?, reniform, globose, none?

2 Likes

ACN lists Loring as +22, while Vaughn Nursery has it at +16.

Vaughn has Carolina Gold at +24 (I got it from them in 2012 for $7.50).

The unknown tree was only slightly after Carolina Gold, but I think there was a mitigating factor- the CG had a heavy fruit-load (several broken branches, even after I thinned 2 additional 5-gal buckets off it), while the unknown tree was more lightly loaded.

Another thing that gives me pause is that I picked some September Snow the other day (9/7). While not fully ripe, they were pretty close- 13-14 brix and after a few days on the counter they weren’t bad. It is considered +60 by ACN. I suspect that I am seeing some compression at the end of the season. I don’t grow Redhaven, but from most other peaches, and from when I used to go to pick your own in the area), RH was about August 1st. So if September Snow was +60 from that, it would be September 30. But, the last time I picked any RH was probably 10 years ago, so maybe I need to adjust the date, as things warm up a bit here.

I’m not very good at reading these, but I took a pic.

I ordered in fall 2020 and planted in spring 2021. Though the year ACN adds something to the catalog isn’t necessarily when they first have it- I think I remember Scott planting experimental varieties from ACN (variety from Rutgers I think) that he had to request.

I don’t think it is Tiana, as the description says “beautiful red color” and “hangs very well”. The fruit I am growing is barely colored, maybe 20-30% and had a tendency to drop fruit.

Funny you mention Redskin. I remember one of the guys at the farmer’s market complaining that Redskin is poorly named and is one of the peaches that doesn’t color up very much. Though I don’t think it is what I have (I had some redskins years ago and it didn’t seem particularly good nor distinctive).

The problem with looking at the pics is that they seem to select the darkest colored fruit for pics, not representative fruit. And the “Color” metric that ACN lists is always a 6-9, with Loring being a 6. The fruit from the unknown tree is less colored than Loring by a decent amount.

I don’t think it is Encore, as I grew that years ago and mostly grafted over it due to sub-par fruit quality.

1 Like

Of the peaches I’ve grown (pretty much all listed so far in this thread). About the only late peaches which have so little blush are Redskin, Carolina Gold, and Victoria.

Redskin and Carolina Gold ripen fairly close here. Victoria is much later. We aren’t harvesting Victoria yet here, but I think where you are in the Northeast, your peaches finish faster than ours, even those ours start earlier.

2 Likes

Sounds like I should give Redskin another look. It’s been 5-10 years since I’ve had one, so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy (after all, it is a peach… :slight_smile: ).

I’ll check next weekend and see if any of the guys are selling it. A lot of places won’t have peaches much longer. I like late season peaches, and am growing Carnival, Heath Cling, Octoberfest, and September Snow. I expect that most will start ripening in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

I think Vaughn may be wrong. @Olpea has it listed at +29. Cumberland has it listed as +4 to elberta (+32) rather than -4 (+24 for Vaughn). Cummins has it listed as +35 for NY (which seems like a more relevant reference point).

That is reniform gland. I see 4, maybe 5 reniform glands on the leaf in focus.

You should find 10 mature leafs and count number of glands (or post picture) for an average.

According to patents:
28-007 - reniform, 1 to 3, leaf length 7" (177.8 cm), 272 grams
Autumnstar (cv Fa 42) - reniform, 5 to 9, leaf length 85 mm
Summerfest (cv KV981175), reniform 2 to 5, leaf length 160 mm , 234 grams
Laurol - reniform 2 to 4, leaf length 6.25" (159 mm) to 6.75" (171 mm)
PF 27A - (does not specify reniform or globose) 1 to 2, leaf length 5" to 6"
Carolina Gold - reniform 4 average, 2 to 6, leaf length 15.9 cm, 201 grams
Tiana NJ359 - reniform 3 to 5, 4 average, leaf length 158 mm to 199 mm (including petiole), 274 g
Selena NJ358 - reniform 2 to 4, average 3, leaf length 160 mm. to 190 mm., average 178 mm including the petiole, 262 grams
Victoria NJ353 - reniform 3 to 6, average 4, leaf length 167 to 190mm, average 174 including petiole, 201 grams

Laurol is described as having a distinct suture and it being raised on opposite side. I see very a shallow suture in your pictures, which is more like the Rutger peaches selena, victoria, tiana. 28-007 is described as having a “recessed pistil point,” which I don’t see in your picture. The other patents lack information on suture and pistil point.

We should ask @olpea to take pictures of fruit for each and every cultivar of peach so we can make an official “what is my wrong labeled peach?” identification guide. :slight_smile:

If I had to guess, I would go with Tiana or victoria.

ACN starting selling Redskin the year before your order, so yeah that is certainly a possibility.

3 Likes

We have Tiana. Peaches were still really hard when I checked them a couple days ago. Mine have much more red than Bob’s pics.

Laurol, we just finished picking, and it’s a pretty red peach. It’s also really big.

We don’t grow 28-007 anymore, but I recall it was a big peach and lots of red.
If I had to guess, it looks most like Carolina Gold. Redskin lots of times has some green on the skin, even when it’s dead ripe.

Type of bloom may help a lot. Redskin and Victoria are showy. Carolina Gold is non-showy.

3 Likes

1 year+ and 1 year- in the ACN 2019-2020 catalogs and 7 different versions of their old maturity charts, I don’t see Carolina Gold.

I don’t think ACN has actually sold Carolina Gold, at least not in the past 10 years, though that certainly doesn’t exclude the possibility that their supplier (if they ever used one for peaches, I think they did for cherries, and their pluots were obviously DW) didn’t throw in a stray CG.

Redskin and Victoria seem to be the only possibilities left. :thinking:

2 Likes

Wow- that’s quite a bit of research- Thanks!

I’m very confident it isn’t Carolina Gold, as I have the two trees ripening in close proximity. Different flavor, texture, smell, etc. The largest unknown peaches are also bigger than any CG I’ve had in the ~10 years I’ve had the tree,

I will pay attention next spring, though I think the two best candidates are both showy.

2 Likes

I suppose if we take a step down in ripening date, so closer to +28ish, we would be looking at glowingstar, cresthaven (doesn’t really match based imo), or messina (based on what ACN sold).

@Olpea Isn’t messina rock hard though (maybe I am confusing with Gloria?) ?

If not Tiana, Selena could be a possiblity, maybe?

2 Likes

Glowingstar is pretty red.

I’d forgotten about Cresthaven. It doesn’t color a whole lot here.

Messina was pretty red as I recall. I don’t grow it anymore. It wasn’t hard like Gloria.

2 Likes

My Cresthaven was never that colorless though… There’s not even any color around the pit in @BobVance’s pictures, which is quite surprising to me. :confused:

Cresthaven is nonshowy if I remember correctly… @olpea confirm?

2 Likes

I grew Redskin in the 80’s. Twenty five trees of it and 25 trees of Biscoe that ripened at the same time. Biscoe was mostly yellow even in full sun so it made Redskin look more red for sure. Redskin’s growth habit is open and willowy. It needs special attention when pruning young trees to keep a compact growth to support a heavy load.
It was a good peach for the season back then.

2 Likes

Yes. Non-showy.

You’re also right, Cresthaven generally has a little more color than Bob’s photos.

1 Like

I harvested Biscoe for the first time this year (just one trial tree). It ripened a few days before Redskin here. Biscoe tasted funky, in a not good way. My employee noticed it and told me to try a Biscoe peach, which I confirmed had an off-flavor. I it was heavily cropped and very hot and dry at the time.

Ever have any issues with the flavor of Biscoe? To be fair, Contender had sort of the same issue this year, but not as bad.

1 Like

I never noticed any flavor issues but my tress were irrigated so never had extremely dry conditions near harvest time. Biscoe was a very mild flavored peach compared to my other varieties. They sized up better than Redskin but flavor wise, not as tasty in my opinion.

I have grown Contender and I have noticed that fruit on over loaded limbs that suddenly get full sun exposure once ripe will get an off taste if left on the tree too long. I guess a sunscald situation in that case.

2 Likes