The fruit we've never tried and don't know how to get

Ok, I will try a couple of nodes your way also.

the lower segment of the cane does seem to have more energy, you could tell by the difference comparing the sweetness of the segments close to the apical bud, relative to the sweetness of the segments closer to the roots. The higher segments are not as sweet/more watery.
also noticeable that the segments closest to the roots or already surrounded by roots may not be as sweet, but probably because the simple sugars have been converted to starch.

below are several green-type sugarcane(in plastic pot) that haven’t lost all their foliage to cold weather. Hopefully we won’t have any arctic spells this winter. Barely visible on the terracotta pot is a red cultivar that seems to have succumbed already, but still hoping some below-ground nodes tide over into spring.

1 Like

Raf,
How many months it took for the node to grow to that size?

planted those back in september(this yr) as bare segments with nothing but dormant nodes, and no roots whatsoever. Keep us posted re: your nebraska sugar cane!

1 Like

It does taste a lot like sweet potato pumpkin pie to me! And a ripe one is simply amazing! AKA “mamia” in Mexican groceries…but I have found it crossing over at a relatively upscale grocery, too.

@mamuang. @jujubemulberry

Here are the Sugarcane cubes served on ice. It brought back childhood memories living in the tropics in the late 60s.

Btw, I burried 2 lower and 2 upper sections of the Sugarcane to root in the same pot of my indoor Thai pepper.

Tony

2 Likes

looks so refreshing @tonyOmahaz5 ! Also fondly remember watching the sugarcane press, which crushes sugarcane stalks and collects the juice. Can drink a liter in one sitting!

1 Like