The next great apple variety #2

This is the second installment on my search for new apple varieties . I haven’t spent as much time searching the woods , fields and river bottoms this year as last but have had some success with the time I have spent. Will start out with a red fleshed apple that is suitable for eating right off the tree

I picked a couple of buckets today to turn into cider

An excellent sweet eating apple

11 Likes

A couple of general pics of my hunt for apples.

8 Likes

Chris,
Nice pics and good find. Congrats.

I thought you would go hunt those wild apples in the woods among thickets. From the pic, it looks like the trees are in the middle of a field somewhere.

1 Like

Yes these are in an over grown field. Another spot up the road a few miles there are many,many hundreds of wild apple trees that have taken over where they used to grow taters up until the depression. Found several interesting ones there also ( only covered a small portion of them) The problem with that day was the wife and the youngest boy who is autistic went with me. I picked samples off the better trees and he picked any and all apples and mixed them all together :grin: So I will have to try and go back and get samples again some time . I have one more real pretty and excellent eating apple I will post later that I am real excited about. So far those that have tasted it have gone wow !

2 Likes

Her is a red fleshed crab I also found ( same one I posted in red foliage =red flesh thread)

5 Likes

I hope you make a note about which apple is from what tree :grin: In case you need to go back for scionwood.

2 Likes

Yes I am going to be in that area several times over the next week or so and plan on stopping when I am. I have marked most of what I want to get scion wood from already but ran out of flagging ( didn’t realize what I had was almost gone until I was on the road) So what I plan on doing the next time is to take tags and write notes on them to put on the trees.

4 Likes

I always enjoy your posts about your apple hunts. Looking forward to more pictures and descriptions.

1 Like

Love the new varieties! Gorgeous apples!

1 Like

Hey @chartman. Any update for this thread?

I’m amazed how many red fleshed varieties there are and they really are beautiful apples! Can’t imagine that cider!

1 Like

It’s incredible how all these trees just randomly grew up like this…nature is pretty amazing…

1 Like

I have a couple pics I still need to post if I can find them now. Been a wile since I have been on here. I get real busy with things at times. I work full time + plenty of over time (although I do take a layoff in the spring and fall) sell fire wood , trap (on a scale to provide income) and then there is the recent project of trying to grow some of these new apple varieties along with established ones and , starting a small fruit tree nursery ( 19 year old son expressed interest in the nursery thing and so the hope is he will be doing half the work then “most” of the work if it works out)

4 Likes