The Overthinking It Grafting Blues

I didn’t know you could graft figs. Good information to have for the future.

Oh yes, figs are one of the easiest of all to graft. And with more than 1000 named cultivars (probably) and new seedling varieties being discovered all the time, that is a good thing!

Whitewashing trunk after topworking to prevent sun damage on bark: am removing almost entire canopy on several 7 year old apple trees.

I know I need to whitewash the newly exposed trunk (learned the hard way) but how about all the small limbs/twigs on the one nurse branch? @Hillbillyhort I bet you (or others) know the answer to this?

Is small wood as vulnerable to sun damage as older turnk, scaffolds?

I have not noticed sunburn on three year and younger Wood.
I have noticed it on five year and older wood with gray bark that is suddenly exposed to , too much Sun .
Mostly I notice it on the upper surface of a horizontal scaffolds say as big as your arms, that suddenly find their selves in full sun.
So you may might wanna make sure those areas are covered good
May want to get other opinions on this, I don’t generally top work trees anymore.

2 Likes

That sounds right, thanks a lot. I whitewashed most of the smaller stuff too, hoping it won’t hurt.

1 Like

I think I’m gonna white wash the tops of the scaffolds on my step over figs this year . I noticed some sunburn on those last year .

1 Like

Well, it was just about 2 1/2 months ago that I was wishing my apple Frankentree had as many apples on it as it had tags. I guess the moral here is be careful what you wish for. I’ll be thinning them soon, but there are at least 3 different varieties of apples producing.

And all 5 varieties that I grafted on earlier this year took and are growing well. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes