The price of fruit trees is too expensive

Fruit trees have became very expensive to a point of it being unsustainable this year. We can expect the price to drop from here in my opinion. I believe pear trees will not be purchased for $160 each.

6 Likes

You picked all the expensive ones. There are still a couple affordable ones. I think many of those max credit nurseries will go under. Their prices went up while their quality went down.

8 Likes

@Robert

Those are the first ones that come up with a search. A friend told me about it and i.was shocked. There will be lots of rootstocks being purchased next year and lots of grafting being done FRUIT TREE SEEDLINGS | Willamette Nurseries rootstock clonal seedling fruit tree ornamental seedlings

I noticed callery are no longer for sale after being sold all these years.

1 Like

I couldn’t find any callery myself. All there is 87 and 97. There is a crusade against callery.

3 Likes

@Robert

My next favorite is BET they are strong rootstocks. Noone as far as i know has an issue with betulaefolia Betulaefolia Pear | Willamette Nurseries rootstock clonal seedling fruit tree ornamental seedlings

1 Like

BET has not performed as well here. It’s also smaller. I like the more standard stocks.

1 Like

@Robert

Callery will not be in short supply regardless. The wild trees will continue to adapt and spread which is what makes them unpopular. If people buy them or dont they will be at your location.

1 Like

Not just fruit trees, but all gardening items. With the summer drought, a lot of landscape trees died this summer in NJ. Also the great ash massacre. So landscapers will be very busy this fall season. We also had the great fruit tree damages from the cicada last year.

With the labor shortage and high price of water, soil and fertilizer, I do not see prices dropping much next year.

Look at your water and utility bills…

5 Likes

@RedSun

Yes prices are very high on these trees. Planning on using my own rootstocks and scion wood.I will not buy their trees for the cheapest price $40 price we can find now. The fruit trees are inferior to wild grafted pears and die often when i try to use them. We are installing solar panels to reduce utility costs. Your right about utilities! Very soon i will reduce water costs more than i do now. We collect over 2500 gallons of rainwater a year to use on the garden. We trust in God to look out for us and pray blessings for others trying to grow fruit and survive. Lets plan on next year being an easier year.

6 Likes

Have you seen the price of starks persimmons? I believe they are $75 for a 4x4x10 pot.

1 Like

Try to get them from Lowes, home depot, tractor supply & Walmart.
In February, tractor supply sell bare root pears, Peaches & apples for $15.
I saw 20th century Asian pear for $30 at Walmart.
Lowes & home depot have the best selection which is around $30-$35. Sometimes, they even mark them down to %50 off.
Online is the most expensive place to buy big fruit trees. I buy only the berries from Stark Bro’s in 3 cells or 6 cells pack since I could not find some of their berries varities in big box stores.

6 Likes

@amqgarden

The department stores have raised their price. Im concerned because stores sometimes have mislabel trees.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pirtle-nursery-honeycrisp-apple-5-gal?store=2083&cid=Shopping-Google-Local_Feed&utm_medium=Google&utm_source=Shopping&utm_campaign=&utm_content=Local_Feed&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjbyYBhCdARIsAArC6LJjJHSsaXxrc-nlVjT37r7BqUDu71UJx_TnZigc7YJ0SAvGK6CFSPAaAteOEALw_wcB

There are deals to be had. Mentioned this to bring awareness to the problem.

3 Likes

You are right that the prices are raised, but they changed from 13.99 to 14.99 & 30 to 35 in big box stores.
The ones you are looking for are online prices for home depot. The stores are completely different with different stock (they get them in spring) & varieties. For tractor supply, you are looking at potted plant. They carry $14.99 trees in Feb and they are bare roots (not potted, degroot is the brand). The good thing about big box stores is that they provide you with one year warranty on their trees. In addition, they are usually cheaper than some local nurseries and online nurseries.

1 Like

@amqgarden

Great information they must eliminate shipping costs by loading a semi with trees. With gas so high im surprised they are not higher. We most likely will get another price increase on everything very soon. $100 fruit trees i think will never sell.

Are you sure those aren’t prices for trees currently in storage from last year? Wholesale prices haven’t shown a crazy increase.

1 Like

@alan

No im not sure of anything other than that those are currently advertisrd prices. Those are very high prices currently on the sellers websites. In some cases thats a 100% - 500% price increase.

@Nfg831_Z6b

Yes persimmons are extremely expensive. Cherries and jujubes are other fruit trees that sell for a lot of money. Some trees are harder to work with than others. Rootstocks as an example are not easy to get for jujube.

Is it for immediate shipment? If so, the prices could be meaningless- they may be charging for the 10 months they’ve been in storage and the high failure rate that will lead to refunds. There would be no advantage to planting those trees now over waiting until early spring- probably quite the opposite. Last time I had a tree shipped in June it took more than a year to catch up with early spring planted trees.

1 Like

@alan

It looks like 9/26 at gurneys i found a cherry in stock but most things are sold out. Wowza cherry was $30 in 2020 so it was already expensive. It’s $70 now and its just a bush cherry.

I’ve never actually ordered trees from fast growing trees and it appears it will stay that way. I added a honeycrisp apple to the cart. It looks like they have free shipping at some point

1 Like

Fruit trees are getting relatively expensive, I was thinking of grafting cherry/apricot trees next spring. Get some rose cuttings too. I kind of liked the deal that FPS was offering even though there is a high minimum.

1 Like