The story of a lucrative business and rape seed oil

People don’t mill their own flour or grind, let alone roast their own coffee. Even juicing fruit isn’t the norm. I’d think all of these things would have more appeal to the masses than pressing their own oil.

I’d be more interested in growing olives if turning it to oil was super easy. But I have a hard time finding the time and energy to manage my fruit harvest as a hobby.

5 Likes

I like that this machine can process nuts into oil, we have an abundance of black walnut around here. Im growing hazels too and I would think they’d make a lovely oil. Ive looked into buying one of these, hope to make the jump as my hazels mature.

4 Likes

I saw a movie called Lorenzo’s Oil about a boy,who had a debilitating brain disease and Rapeseed oil was one of things used to slow the illness and it helped a lot of others.Only males are affected and I think it comes from the mother.
Erucic acid may have been the derivative.bb

2 Likes

This is very interesting. I’m in the process of growing crops I can use for supplementing my income when I retire in 3 years. I am currently looking at Sorghum, Amaranth, Qinuoa and sunflowers. The Mammoth sunflower seed are quite large and I can do several acres if i wanted to. TY for posting this. I’m going to do more research on the right seeds that I can grow here and still get oil worth selling. Very cool. Thanks again CL… I am curious though? It says good for up to 3-5 hours of pressing? I guess maybe it heats up? I’ll look up the company and see…

2 Likes

I love the rape. But I GUESS in Kansas the sunflower is still king. If they quit spraying the rape with pesticides, the honeybees could do a lot better.

5 Likes

@dutch-s
You seem like you might like distillation of oils as well Distilling Mint Oils. Heat is always an issue with this type of device.

Why do they seem like the same thing to me? Am I missing something or is it one is personal and one kind of commercial? I was looking at the 1800 Watt. Most expensive one but seems up to a good workout…

One thread is a several years ago older model and the Essential Oil Steam Distillation Apparatus Kit is a seperate device.

Personally I have my eye on the Happybuy 400S.

Now that is a real haymaker.

1 Like

Got ya…I really like the Happybuy one. I couldn’t find a website of the business that makes it though. Just places to buy it. I’m interested in much more about the machine. I’ve got a nice bonus coming and this would be a perfect addition the the Freeze Dryer I’m getting…I’m really trying to go completely self sufficient. Was thinking of making up some food survival kits with freeze dried foods…? I don’t know. Seems like I could do it…I’m the entrepreneurial type:grin:

5 Likes

Where can you find that?

1 Like

Sinve you mentioned sorghum you could get a juicer https://www.amazon.com/BestEquip-Commercial-Sugar-Cane-Juicer/dp/B0756CKQ3Z/ref=asc_df_B0756CKQ3Z/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309764250650&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15598098049125028655&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-574298022132&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60204159245&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309764250650&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15598098049125028655&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-574298022132

1 Like

Funny you should mention that. I actually talked over the internet to this guy and seems their stuff is very high quality…

http://www.canemachines.com/our-machines/

2 Likes

But then I thought this might be plenty for what i want to do and in retirement it would be awesome exercise!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Stanless-Sugarcane-Extractor-Squeezer/dp/B01J2SC2OW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1550544374&sr=8-6&keywords=sugar+cane+manual+press

3 Likes

I had a quart jar of rapeseed honey many years ago. White and pasty, interesting stuff.

3 Likes

I’m growing Hazels and Almonds and Pecans and was thinking the same thing :+1:

2 Likes

I better get off here before I go broke. I figured it would be a good idea to start little on the Sorghum and I bought the Manual one. Should be here late next week!! I’ll post when it gets here. Man…I love this forum. Thanks for all the great ideas folks…

5 Likes

@murky, I grew a couple of olive trees. They made it to about 4 feet tall. There were flowers at that small size. My deer thought the trees were delicious. No more olive trees.

1 Like

I had one arbequina and the deer ate it to death too. Jim Gilbert had said they weren’t bothered, but I supposed the deer at his nursery probably have a smorgasbord from which to choose.

1 Like

@dutch-s
Heres how sorghum is handled at the fall festival here Sweet Sorghum
My hand press is small and you can see a picture of it in this thread Sugarcane - #12 by mrsg47

2 Likes