The symbiotic relationships of trees, soil, and fungi

In my experience it’s sold by the pint. The effective method of application is one or two drops to the roots of each bareroot plant. For plants in the ground you’ll need to partially excavate them to make direct root contact.

Thanks for the links. Suzanne Simard’s talk was very interesting to me. It’s not new to me but her presentation was much more graspable than many, with practical ideas emerging. In our own old-fields-turning-forest the first trees growing, together, are white pine and wild black cherry. Of course, that certainly isn’t new to me but I hadn’t thought of their interrelationship before.

I happen to be expanding my orchard area into a section of those fields, with a “row” (roughly speaking) of white pines and scattered WBC within the area. I plan to plant experimental apricot, peaches and sweet cherries to the north of the pines, using them to provide winter shade. But now I’m more apt to leave more WBC’s. I know they aren’t real similar to domestic cherries but I wonder if the mychorizal (if that’s the correct term) relationship might be similar enough to benefit the planted stone fruit. I don’t know, of course, but it’s nice to think the local inhabitants might give them a boost.

I’m glad I planted my new gooseberries near to my apple trees as in the woods wild gooseberries often are found under the wild apples. The more I look the more I find.

2 Likes

Wild cherries can be a host for diseases for tame cherries. In some areas that’s not an issue. Sometimes relationships among plants can be tricky. I love the idea of the gooseberries! Apricots should do extremely well for you! Fantastic idea! Can’t wait to see all the things you wind up with in your orchard!

1 Like

Interesting this fungi popped up at the base of a dead poplar. This property 20 years ago was farmground. I wanted a healthy soil long term so I planted a short life windbreak while the real windbreak of pears and apples was growing. I used poplar , willow and other soft woods.

1 Like

Last year I got a morel growing under one of my cherry bushes. I’m still debating which one I care for the most, morels or cherries :smiley:

My usual soil conditioning/feeding involves a bucket of decade-old horse manure topped off with green woodchips. The intent is to reproduce the conditions of the forest floor; moist, full of decomposing stuff, loose soil. Something must be going right because morels are all sorts of finicky.

Also if you hare having fungal issues on the top side of your plants try compost tea. A fungal infection is a single variety that gained a foothold and managed to spread. The other millions of fungi per gram of compost are harmless to the plant, but will outcompete the bad fungi by sheer force of numbers. It works pretty darn good.

4 Likes

Did you eat it? Looks like a pheasant back( dryad’s saddle) to me.

2 Likes

Have not ate it but it did look edible.