The trees they came a one by one

Schisandra hybrid “Eastern Prince”, planted from 4" starter pot in Fall of 2014.

1 Like

It has huge leaves compared to mine.

The largest of the leaves is 4"L x 2.5"W and many of the others are about 3"L x 2"W.

OK, mine just looks smaller, the leaves are about that size. I don’t have any 4" most are 3"

Richard it would be fun to come home from work and walk around your orchards. Not that I’m going to do that I live a couple thousand miles away. Just saying with all your trees and plants it’s got to be more fun than my orchard and I love checking up on my trees!

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve got another dozen to post here and then I can start on the herbs and vegetables :slight_smile:

Arapaho Blackberry in my “vineyard”.

2 Likes

Southern Home Grape in my vineyard.

Looks Good Richard. I planted one about a month ago. It has grown from 4’ to 7’. Gurney has another one I want to try (RazzMaTazz or something like that). This might be the first seedless muscadine. Bill

1 Like

Black Monukka Seedless Grape.

Richard, I am so impressed with all of the construction going on in your orchard. Envious is probably a better word! It all looks so weed free and clean. My orchard is a bit more of a jungle, organized but not as neat as yours. Cannot wait to see the finished orchard and gardens. Mrs. G

2 Likes

Richard, wow! We are the exact opposites… my stuff is so thrown together and unorganized. What you have is so not that, congrats!

Agree Mrsg47, When I die and go up to the great garden in the sky, Richards garden is how I picture it!

2 Likes

Here in north county San Diego we are fortunate to have one of the U.S. premier sources of wholesale and retail herbs and edibles: Pearson’s Gardens. It is not a huge commercial operation, but the scope of varieties puts most other suppliers “in the dust”. It’s only an acre or so behind their 800 sq.ft. home in Vista. But if you decide to visit and you are a plant nut like most people here – plan on spending hours there. For example if you start tasting the oregano varieties well that could be an hour right there. And so on. And of course, bring a vehicle that has room to transport several flats of 4-inch potted plants – even if you only buy one of each variety that interests you.

One of the plants I purchased wholesale there and sold regularly in my nursery operation was “Cretian Calamint”. There are several species of Calamint (Clinopodium sp.) that are endemic to various parts of the world. This one is found primarily on Crete. Two decades ago the taxonomy for this plant was Calamintha cretica – nowadays I believe it is Clinopodium vulgare ssp. livanohorto. There’s a few publications out there in the biology literature. One I found is: Nordic Journal of Botany; Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 247–252, July 1996.

I brought a plant in a #12 pot when I moved to my present home. Today I planted it out along my front entryway. Hopefully it will spread out and eventually cover about 20 sq.ft.

Za’atar Oregano plant.

I finished constructing a “vineyard” trellis at the rear of my property. It’s 80’ long and 8’ above the rear ground level so I can walk under it. I designed it to support 5 vines, 16’ on center: 3 table grapes, a blackberry, and a fruiting schisandra vine.

Today I planted a Hollyleaf Cherry (Prunus ilicifolia). It’s about 5 years old from seed. I’ve been growing it in containers - most recently 25 gallon. I pruned up the bottom to shape it into a small tree.

1 Like

This morning I planted a Jaboticaba shrub (Plinia cauliflora) next to my Hollyleaf Cherry.

2 Likes

This afternoon I planted an Evergreen Huckleberry shrub (Vaccinium ovatum).

1 Like

Richard, what are you doing to the soil to acidify it? Or, your watering/fertigation system. How do these berries taste, compared to blueberries?

V. ovatum does just fine with pH 5.8 to 6.2. I fertigate them with acidifying formulas designed for roses, azaleas, etc. The berries are very small until the plant reaches mature size. They are not as sweet as blueberries but have much greater anthocyanin content. Being a California native they are also a favorite of local birds.