The trees they came a one by one

Richard,
Your place is going to be a fruit forest.Are most of the trees going to be kept pruned to a maximum size? Brady

You bet. Theyā€™re kept within a 10ā€™ diameter and 8ā€™ height ā€“ although the figs are cut to about 32" every January and the whips are allowed to go as high as they can.

Planted my ā€œBig Jimā€ Loquat today.

1 Like

It surprise me that Loquat can flower in this small size. My memory of loquat tree is about 15 feet tall. Nice yard, BTW

Cultivars such as ā€œBig Jimā€ are clones and fruit in the first year after propagation. Iā€™m a bit surprised it is flowering now. It typically flowers in winter and produces a Spring crop. Looks like Iā€™ll have two crops this year.

Also, I control the size of my trees - pruning them back to about 8ā€™. This one has yet to reach that height.

Richard, out of curiousity why is the water standing like that? Are you taking the picture immediately after flooding the pool very quickly? Or is the soil poorly drained? Even with some of the poor clay soil around here I donā€™t think I could get water to stand in a pit like that without dumping it in all at once.

Yes. It had just been planted. Today Iā€™ll fill the basin with mulch.

This evening I planted my MidKnight Valencia on the north side of my Loquat.

4 Likes

Whatā€™s that other citrus tree?

In the background of the 1st picture is ā€œGold Nuggetā€ Mandarin in a 25 gallon pot ā€“ soon to be in the ground.

This evening I finished planting my Frost-Owari Seedless Mandarin :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™m too impatient - whatā€™s that tree in the 24" box in the background? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Eureka Lemon!
:smiley:

Very nice citrus varieties, that Mandarin looks incredibly productive. Does your Eureka not have any fruits currently? I cannot tell from the photo.

Also gorgeous Panache. Iā€™m still uncertain if your soil is basic or acidic? And I assume you donā€™t use the acidic fertilizer on that one as the common advice is that they prefer alkaline conditions. Lastly, do you do any other trimming or shaping to it besides shortening to 3 feet when dormant? E.g. tree form with main branches and secondary branching etc.

Just read through the threadā€¦amazing setup there and great climate. Its awesome that you get to keep gardening right through the winter months.

I have nearly everything in the ground now :smile:. What remains are the Blueberries and the planter beds to the right of them, the Mulberry bush (waiting on patio installation), the Dragon Fruit, and the evergreen fruit marked ā€œ??ā€. The latter will be a replacement for a tree that died this spring. Iā€™m not certain yet what Iā€™ll choose. It needs to be evergreen and work in my western zone 10b climate.

10 Likes

Pineapple Guava?Brady

Windmill on the golf course?

Iā€™ve been thinking about ā€œNazemetzā€ pineapple guava :slightly_smiling:. Definitely need something I donā€™t have and also that my fiancĆ©e will enjoy :smile:.

I have plumbed it with itā€™s own electric circuit ā€¦

Very impressive yard plan. Going to be beautiful when they are mature. My wife would kill me though! I had to beg to fill in just the periphery of my acre.

2 Likes