The Very Best Smaller Greenhouses Home Heater

but it is only effective when a heat source is inside. because it reflects the heat back.
but it costs nothing is very light and very effective

1 Like

the lowest temp inside my greenhouse became 32.6 F at -11 F with 30 mph wind.

I’m very pleased because when it gets that low it still goes up. From there it would’ve achieved something in the 33’s again.

The heat coming off it is very minimal. It’s pretty cost effective I would have to think.

1 Like

Well yesterday morning low was 3F… high yesterday 14F… low last night 9F… but the sun is out today and we have warmed up to a balmy 27F now.

I just opened the end of my little lettuce bed hoop house and took this pic.

Looks like the leaf lettuce is hanging in there so far.

Incandescent christmas lights… to the rescue.

5 Likes

A ‘balmy’ 15 F is the high here so far today.

I read in the newspaper, that North America is hit buy a cold wave.
How is your lettuce doing with the protection?

1 Like

@Kaki-pistacia … a pic from this morning.

The covers and incadescent Christmas lights worked great. The next 10 days look great for growing leaf lettuce.

With luck perhaps fresh greens until spring… will see.

I am starting more from seed now to fill in some of the blank spots.

1 Like

Your system works and they looks nice. Why not broadcast the seed and have a bed of solid lettuce?

1 Like

@fruitnut … i will try that… sewing some directly in the bed… especially if our temps remain favorable for germination. The next 7 days is looking good for that … but i was completely out of lettuce seed and had to order some. Supposed to be here next week.

Trying some Grand Rapids leaf lettuce this time. It is reported to produce vigorously even with below freezing temps… and first cut in 30 days.
Fast growing, crisp mild flavor.

I will start some in grow cups too… that way if temps get low for germination… i can sit them out when favorable… and bring them in (heat mat) when not.

2 Likes

Kerosene lanterns work for us.

2 Likes

@DragonflyLane … i have been using those incadescent christmas lights for a couple years now.

I started a bed of lettuce and spinach back in the fall that is still going today. We have harvested buckets and buckets and buckets of good salad greens for many months now.

Still going strong… more than we can eat… giving it to friends and family and neighbors.

We eat great salads every night for dinner.

2 Likes

I’m so jealous.

1 Like