The worst garden equipment

I have had some duds but to me, this is the worst design in the history of pruning snips. Also I am dumb. I refuse to throw them away, but literally every time I use them I cut my palm, or finger pads pretty good. For some reason these things are sharp on the inside (as one would expect) and however even sharper on both outside edges. I always in my absentminded-ness forget the outside edge was made by Hitori Hanzo and drag my finger across it while carrying it to the next pruning location.

Absolutely need to trash them, because I’m too dumb to use them without mostly pruning my fingers

8 Likes

aren’t the blades just installed backwards? Can you unscrew the locknut? (seems like hex or torx)
And reinstall them correctly?

1 Like

No haha they are sharp on all sides. Just not sure why anyone would want the outside also sharp

3 Likes

Something tells me, these would not pass as a prototype during my design studies. Multi-purpose objects are always risky (too much compromise to suit each function properly). Designing a potentially dangerous tool to cause crippling damage when used in a way that is normally safe for how we handle the majority of objects with the same purpose, that is somewhere between pompous, stupid and evil.
Considering that my professor was the son of a butcher, the sketch for these wouldn’t get so far as a computer rendering.

4 Likes

It looks like it’s a saw on the outside edges

If I may suggest a modification instead of simply disposing of the tool, just a few moments with a rotary tool (Dremel) and it’s cutting wheel attachment
th-2714990140(Internet sourced image)
would take the sharp outside edge down to where it wouldn’t be causing that damage to your hand any longer.

7 Likes

In their defense they came in a sheath, I just don’t buckle tools to my person in order to navigate my .16 acres of garden. However I am shocked they still sell them in my local shops because I can’t believe they haven’t had lawsuits levied against them for this design.

1 Like

From the product page, they are indeed intended to be a knife/scissors combo:

I don’t understand how you’re coming into contact with the outside edge so much. That’s not how I use shears. In either case, I think you’ll have a much happier time if you think of them as a knife that doubles as a shear instead of the other way around. Following basic knife safety procedures, you’d then keep them in the sheath unless actively using them.

If you don’t need a knife, then you have the wrong product. Product is working as intended.

2 Likes

I didn’t buy them, someone gifted them to me. If I bought them I’d have trashed them long ago. I still may take the dremel tool to them as someone suggested. I would argue no one needs a knife/scissor combo.

No need to be so unnecessarily confrontational, you didn’t design them haha.

2 Likes

Yes, came across stronger/harsher than I intended. So, sorry about that.

I spend a little too much time on FB groups where people complain about things like their digging forks being “no good” because they’re not functioning like heavy-duty pry bars to remove roots and rocks. Some of my eye-twitching rage must have carried over from that.

I do maintain, though, that you might find them to be an enjoyable and useful tool if you approach them differently.

2 Likes

You may be correct, however the point is it’s a bad design. Most multipurpose tools are just worse at 3 things than anything designed for one intended purpose. I also imagine anyone would cut themselves on the outside edge of any pair of scissors or snips if it was razor sharp because you are on autopilot in expectation that the outside of a blade to be a safe zone. I also said they come with a sheath, so yes the manufacturer knows it’s sharp on all edges. I still surmise it’s a poor design and the worst garden tool I currently own.

1 Like

Maybe you handle scissors/shears differently than I do. I seldom, if ever, touch the blades.

I would argue that this is a purpose-built tool. It’s meant for all-around cutting of bags, twine, and other lightweight materials. It’s not the right tool for me because it doesn’t match what I do. However, I can picture a couple classes of people where this would be a fantastic tool. In particular, I think this is better suited for folks working with transplants, bagged soil, and containers. For example, this would be a fantastic tool if I were potting up a couple thousand seedling plugs and needed to make a lot of light-duty cuts to open bags, make light pruning cuts, or cut staking ties. For general garden work, a traditional pruning shear and a trowel/hori-hori would make a much better combo.

I mostly just jog with them

7 Likes

I also would argue that you think you do, because the non-business side isn’t razor sharp. Put a razor sharp blade on the outside edge of your scissors and it’s 100% a matter of time before you slice yourself. I’m telling you it’s a bad design haha

1 Like

Ha! Love it.

I agree, it’s certainly possible I’m touching the outside edge more than I think I am. This may be the confirmation bias talking, but the more I think about these the more I’m convinced these would be a stellar potting bench tool. There’s a real value in not having to put down one tool and pick up another as you move through tasks. Saves only a few seconds each time. but those seconds add up to minutes and those minutes add up to hours.

2 Likes

If it is more a design issue with the sheath being not so enjoyable to attach to your person, I would like to suggest looking around for another style. This Corona brand belt sheath has worked well for me. I purchased it at a local Ace Hardware. It has a quick belt clip as well as a pair of loop holes in case someone wants the thread a belt through it.

I bought it to hold my clippers

so I can use both hands at the same time, but I think that it might be sized a little bit too large for yours. They had other styles and sizes available. My particular model cost about $20.

2 Likes

I see what they were going for, something between pruners and a hori-hori knife, but I think you’re right, it’s just a bad design. The next time you cut yourself, you should sue the company. You’d probably make enough money to buy more land and then you could plant more fruit. I’m just teasing, but really, they would probably settle out of court and recall these things, that’s how poor the design seems to me, lol.

1 Like

I have multiple pairs of these. They come with a sheath, and are great for harvesting vegetables. I love them!

1 Like

Yeah I nailed the sheath to a stud in my shed and just grab them out of the shed. They are my “doesn’t matter if it gets contaminated” shears. I keep my nice Japanese ones inside and use that for more serious pruning

1 Like