These don’t mix well

Which one is your PF 25?

Second from top.

Glenglo
PF25
Bottom two are EC

My PF 25 has non-showy blooms. Most, if not all Paul Friday peaches have non-showy blooms.

Mark aka @Olpea created the thread of stone fruit flowers, mostly peaches, in the Reference section for us to use as reference.

Check out post # 22

1 Like

Freeze warning tonight lows to 28. New Jersey

Yeah, they’re showier than I expected, which makes me suspect it may be a different variety.

They ripen about the right time for the variety, but are not distinctive otherwise.

I’ll see if I can find a pic of the fruit.

Ripening time does not mean much esp. if you are not in the same zone as the people who wrote the description.

Local stations here Middle TN… are still saying 26-28 for tonight.

I managed to get something over my smaller peach, not sure if it will help.
If 1 or 2 degrees can make a difference perhaps a bed sheet will help a little ?

I near froze to death getting that on… the things a man will do for peaches :slight_smile:

TNHunter

PeachCovered

7 Likes

At least you know you made an effort. Sometimes that at least makes me feel better when I lose to mother nature. Hope it goes your way.

Here it looks like 28F tonight and 26F tomorrow in the most conservative forecasts; they vary up to lows of 30F. I might lose some but it should not be nearly as bad as last year.

The good thing here is after two bad days there is a long streak where things should be OK. That is not what happened last year, it just never warmed up and kept dipping too low over and over again.

Agreed, the weather channel says its 28 right now but I’m reading 32. Those few degrees might make the difference. Like Trev I have covered some of my peaches, but it has been tough getting it on. Same, it makes me feel better. Looking forward to the weekend and taking a deep breath. The things a woman will do for peaches :hugs:

1 Like

Up at 5:25 am and checked my Merc Thermometer on the back porch 35 degrees… my digital shows 36. Looking across the grass in the back yard, see a little glisten but nothing like a hard frost.

So looks like they were off quite a bit for me again…

It often drops another degree or so just after the sun breaks up over the ridge…

Hope you all got less cold than predicted…

TNHunter

Showing 27 here in central PA. Recovered my only in ground fig. Once its light enough I’ll have to see how my trees that blossomed look.

25 here in Rockingham County Va. Seems like a repeat of last year… Not as worried about fruit loss, as young trees dying. Most are still somewhat dormant. Peaches have blooms, apples and pears between silver tip and half inch.

Just pre-sunrise here in TN… no change still 35 on my merc thermometer and 36 on my digital.
Normally drops 1 just after sun up.

Good Luck to all of you who got colder. Looks like I might be OK thru this one… but last year is was April 15 when I lost all peaches, apples, grapes…

I think it was 2007 when I saw the latest hard frost that I can remember… it was late in April and got down around 25. All trees lost all leaves for a month… Most Ginseng was up at that point and most of the tops died from that frost… very low supply that fall and prices went to 1000.00 per pound or higher…

TNHunter

2 Likes

Damage may not be noticeable until a day or two later. You may not see much today. Later, you will have a better idea if or how much damage your fruit trees have sustained. Hope it will be no damage or very minimal for you.

Sun fully up at 6:41 here in TN… dropped 1 degree as usual.
I have two Merc Thermometers on the back porch now, both showing 34 degrees… and my digi is showing 35.

It usually does not change after the sun is up… holds steady a while, then starts rising.

TNHunter

mamung on damage…

Last year when I lost all peaches, apples, even my concord grapes…

By 9 am, my grapes were obviously done for…it was 4/15 and I had quite a bit of new growth, and tiny grape clusters on… but but 9 am that morning they were obviously in serious trouble, turned dark, wilted, goners… about a month later they sent out new growth, but only a small amount of new fruit buds that did not develop.

My Peaches and Apples looked good for a day or so, I thought they might be Ok… but then a bit later started noticing little indentions in the fruit, like dimples, and those continued and got worse, and they eventually just all shriveled up, browned and fell off. I had peaches and apples in the 3/4" to 1" size on at that time. Best I remember it was on day 2 when it started becoming obvious that they were not going to make it.

TNHunter

Bottomed out at 28 here, per my sensor that is actually hanging from one of my trees. That was +1 from the forecast.

I get up at 4 for work and the digital thermometer said 25 and so did my truck as I left about 10 after 4. It probably dropped a bit more at sunrise :frowning_face: Well, here is hoping that the stuff that hasn’t started to bloom will survive and fruit… Still several things in dormancy here thankfully. Of course the weather here is a bit colder than other areas of TN. The Cumberland Plateau has it’s own climate.

@Poncho65

I have a Daughter that lives up near Cookeville… going to visit her this weekend and taking her some raspberry plants that I propagated… Everbearing Red Heritage, Fall Gold, Ohio Treasure black. That should get her started off nicely.

I also built her a Raised Bed last fall 4 x 16 ft, and covered it in deep hay mulch. She has been trying to grow stuff in pots… I have her fixed up this year.

Here at my place in Middle TN now we are at 45… going to uncover my fig, and peach, and get my newly propagated raspberries out of the garage and back in the sun.

PS… My Nephew lives about 10 miles north of me, and has a Lake in front of his house.

My low this morning was 34… his was 29.

He had a thick coat of ice on his truck windshield… mine had just a couple of thin patches… but there was no visible frost on the grass or plants.

I am on a high ridge (960 ft elevation) with deep hollows near by… perhaps that helped.
He is in a large flat area, huge fields, with a small shallow hollow in front of his house that is full of water now (his Lake).

Even in the same County… there can be a pretty broad range of low temps.

TNHunter

1 Like