They are back

Japanese Beetle season again. They love this cherry tree. It’s a sacrifice as the tend to not dominate the other apples or peaches

6 Likes

Wow! And I thought I had Japanese beetle problems.

2 Likes

Wow! After seeing how badly they chewed your Cherry, I won’t complain as loudly about my Grape and Honeycrisp damage! But if that’s your sacrificial tree, and the rest don’t fare so badly it works out.

1 Like

They have been after my pluots the worst, and a bit on the raspberries. They even shredded a rose that had bloomed a few days ago!

I have a Romeo and Juliet cherry, and they haven’t go to them yet.

Would Surround work to keep these off the leaves, or would it be a good idea to mix in some spinosad with it?

1 Like

Well that is awful. Lure traps don’t help cull their population?

1 Like

Poor tree!

My cherry is also a favorite, but as the fruit is done [when there is fruit] by the time they show up, I use it as a trap tree and spray

2 Likes

Only spray that bonide fruit tree spray twice a year. Last year put out milky spore in the field. May need a more comprehensive plan in the future. That cherry tree is usually picked bare of leaves every July and comes back. They nibble on the apples and peaches but no where near that bad. That cherry tree must be beetle crack.

2 Likes

I bought a big bag of grubex about three years ago and it knocked my population way done to almost nothing. They live in the soil as grubs usually right in your mulched area below your tree. I spread it all over the yard and extra thick by hand on mulched areas. Now this could be coincidence because it was after a really cold winter too. It’s hard to tell. Just like this year I sprayed extra for pc and haven’t had any bites yet but it also was a cold winter, and again I’m not sure which controlled them. I have birds that sit on my fence post too phobe that will pluck them out of the air or off the leaves. They just about eat all the flying insects. Powdered sevin works but will kill bees from what I read, so be careful of flowering plants.

1 Like

They are hit or miss up here. Have been around for close to 10 years i would say…but not really a problem…yet. I wonder if winter hits them hard and keeps their numbers in check.

Rose Chafers have been thick this y ear though…winter didn’t bother them at all.

1 Like

I have only seen one so far here.

1 Like

Grub ex is 45$ for 10000 sq feet. Almost $200 an acre. Be 1000$ plus May have to do something but ouch expensive

1 Like

Lure traps usually need to have a huge capacity or be put on somebody else’s property from what I know. They tend to lure huge swarms.

JBs here also focus my cherries, and my pluot for some reason. The population is small enough that I can drown them before too much damage.

1 Like

I went ahead and put grubex on the half acre of trees. Letting the other 6 acres grow. Multiple articles say the beetles prefer mowed grass. We will see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

I didn’t spend near that, but yes if you buy the small bags that are way overpriced it would be costly. I can’t remember where I got a big bag at but it was probably a farm store. The whole bag was like $40 and it did everything around my orchard. Just hit the soft dirt areas where you see them eating. They usually drop strait down and burrow into the mulch under your tree. I think my bag was 40lbs. I only bought it because I thought it was a good deal. This must be the size bag I bought. I got it cheaper than this but that was several years ago. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-28-7-lb-Grub-Killer/3381650

1 Like

Lures attracts more from surrounding areas, I use Imidan period. One application and they are gone. They don’t like the smell and it kills them in the process. What’s nice about this stuff,they don’t use your soil to hibernate for the following year.
I don’t use this stuff on every tree, just thee ones they like the best, like Crepe mirtle

2 Likes

Hit the trees with this as well. That and the grubex may help. Put out a bit of milky Spore last year.

My wife has honeybees in the back field about 200 yards from the orchard. I don’t use anything back there and try not to go nuclear on the orchard. If it wasn’t for the beetles I wouldn’t spray at all

2 Likes

Deer, june bugs, and curculio are the main things i spray for. I have yet to see fruit survive into the fall to know if i will need to spray for insects beyond June/early July.

1 Like