Thimbleberries & Wineberries

Does anybody know where I might be able to buy these plants? I was watching https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ, and he had the thimbleberry in one of his top 10 videos. Since it is about the only fruit that I might be able to grow, I wanted to look into the hardiness and heat tolerance but I am having trouble finding possible suppliers.

I also thought about trying the Japanese Wineberry at one point, and that also seems to have vanished.

1 Like

@TheGrog
Here you go Products – OIKOS Tree Crops

2 Likes

www.burntridgenursery.com has them available. They are native to the Pacific Northwest. I grew them at my last house on a north facing slope. When happy they spread easily.

1 Like

Hello,
Please do not let me derail any plant orders.

I do have Rubus odoratus / purple-flowered raspberry…

I will / need to dig some up SOON for a SSE request.

If you miss out now, you can always ask later. I am not going anywhere and either are these plants!

If you have an interest let me know.

At a minimum, I’d like to cover the shipping costs and it is not hard to incise me into a trade / swap.

If you know of a business looking for a sample, let me know.

These are such cool plants and, I am glad to share them!

Stay Safe.

1 Like

Hmm, looks like I might have a heat problem with thimbleberries.

I don’t know if I just got bad plants, but the wineberries I have are terribly weedy, thorny and stingy when it comes to producing fruit. The seem to prefer sending out runners everywhere they can rather than flowering.

Scott

2 Likes

how well do they fruit? I’ve read some wild ones don’t fruit real well. i have some i got from hartmanns and they are supposed to be good fruit producers. the ones from oikios are also. mine haven’t so far but i think i need to give the some compost as the canes are pretty short. love the leaves on them. mine had a few white flowers last year but none produced fruit.

1 Like

Suspect you will enjoy this thread Wineberries

1 Like