Things to see/do in San Francisco area?

Maybe just see the gentle people there?:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U

I’m sure it will be worth it. :raised_hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn1gheckr70

1 Like

Gotcha. So, more views than just the bridge…

Funny, I didn’t see anything when I was there 20 years ago, but it was a fall weekday, so maybe they weren’t out in full force that day.

Yes, I’m a member and they have the largest collection of Rodin sculptures outside of the Rodin Museum in Paris. Their permanent collection is amazing, with the emphasis on 19th century. I usually park in front of “The Girl With The Broken Pitcher” for at least 10 minutes.

Personally, I’d skip the Haight. What is left of the '60s has been packaged and sold. And the panhandlers are more aggressive there than any other place in the city…and that’s really saying something. But Golden Gate Park is near there and is just fantastic. The DeYoung Museum is great (but more modern than the Legion), along with the Steinhart Aquarium. The Japanese Tea Garden is pricey but very beautiful. You can also see the Shakespeare garden, which is free. All four of those things are in the same vicinity. Stow Lake may be fake, but it’s also very peaceful and beautiful, and there’s a rose garden and the Botanical Gardens. There’s also the Conservatory of Flowers, which I’ve never actually been to. All of this is in GG Park.

Twin Peaks has the best view of the whole Bay Area, but there have been some problems there lately with crime (usually not during the day). And if it’s foggy, you won’t see much. If you’re lucky enough to get a clear day, it’s worth the trek, since you can see the Pacific about 100 feet from your view of the City.

If you do go to the Legion, stop at Good Luck Dim Sum on Clement for an extremely inexpensive and fantastic lunch. Just don’t overdo it…your eyes easily get bigger than your head with dim sum. If you want to stop for more food on the way back, Chomp and Swig also on Clement is a cool neighborhood spot with a great, limited menu, good beer, and board games. Avoid driving on Van Ness and Geary, if possible.

Bob’s Donuts on Polk is 24 hours and late at night, when the fryers are on, it’s tough to find a better doughnut. I mean, anywhere.

The Cliff House (near Land’s End) is a nice place to have a drink and watch the sunset on the Pacific. You can also see the ruins of Sutro Baths. On a clear day, you might be able to see the Farallon Islands. I know this is silly, but the gift shop at Land’s End is great. As a local, I love seeing what they have.

If you must go to North Beach, get a sandwich at Molinari’s. A true Italian Deli. If you must go to Chinatown, get lunch at Hang Ah Tearoom. It’s a total dive, but it’s the only restaurant in San Francisco with a street named after it. So it’s got history.

Late night food, Tommy’s Joynt is an institution and there’s a line almost always. It’s the sort of place that these modern chains try to rip off with random crap on the walls.

OK, I’ll stop…

1 Like

OK, one more thing.

Personally, I avoid Lombard. It’s a zoo and they now have a regular officer there because so many tourists were getting robbed. But it is the twistiest street in the world…

Thanks, y’all!
Keep the info coming!

Note: The DeYoung Musuem, California Academy of Sciences, Botanical Garden, Japanese Tea Garden, and the Conservatory of Flowers are all within about 1/2 mile of each other in Golden Gate Park. Most have been mentioned above and +1 to each. Cal. Academy is usually open Thursday nights with events that are more adult-oriented.

Probably the best way to get a sense of the natural beauty of SF is from outside of SF on or across the bay. +1 on going North across the Golden Gate Bridge to the GG national recreation area, Marin Headlands, Muir Woods. +1 to Tilden Park and Mt. Tam. for the same reason. Alameda and parts of Oakland, too, to sit out and look across the bay over lunch, dinner, etc. At the Ferry Building in SF, there is farmers market on Tues, Thurs., and Sat. mornings and then you can take the ferry across the bay and get some great views as part of the ride.

+1 on the newly-redone SFMOMA. The Legion of Honor is a great combination of open area to explore and museum space. For both it and the Asian Art Museum, they are at their best when there’s an exhibition of interest to you.

If you like Mexican food or are in the area, +1 on the taquerias in the Mission. Some good bakeries for desserts, too. The prices at restaurants in downtown SF can surprise people from out of town, so prepare yourself mentally (things are more affordable in the Mission).

The coast around Mendocino erupts with plant and bird and other animal life in spring. If you like to wine taste, you can work your way there (or back) through the Anderson Valley.

Generally, +1 on wine tasting (if you like wine, of course). If you want to chat with the winemaker or vineyard manager, avoid Napa and find smaller wineries around Sonoma, Calistoga, Healdsburg, St. Helena, etc. You may have to schedule ahead at the smaller places. If you really like wine, research the sub-regions that excel in the varieties you like because there are a number of them. If you get up into Sonoma County, the Luther Burbank Farm is up there as well as his Home+Gardens.

The San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus has concerts in town the last 2 days in March: Not only non-touristy local civic life, but they usually blow the roof off the place. If you will be in town then and can get tickets, I recommend trying to catch one. Compared to Chicago or New Orleans, San Francisco isn’t that great a town for live music, though. SF JAzz Center event calendar is worth taking a look at as is the one for Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.

The California coast shows off in late winter/early spring with migrating whales. You can see them from the shore at Pt. Reyes and along Big Sur, and there are tour boats out of a number of places along the coast. Check ahead to see if they are around at the time/place you want to go out.

If you’re a computer nerd and are going to make it to the South Bay for Prusch Park, the Computer History Museum is on the way and has some interesting things.

I’ll amplify what was mentioned above: Be aware of Bay Area traffic in your day and route planning. If you’re going to be driving yourself, I suggest getting Waze for your smartphone if you do not already have it. The “Arrive By” and "Traffic at " features on Google Maps are pretty reliable in the area. If you’re not going to be driving yourself, Uber and Lyft have largely displaced taxis around SF except at the airport and major hotels.

I hope that you enjoy your visit.

3 Likes

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.
Had a great visit with the daughter.
Was sadly underwhelmed by the SF Botanical Garden. Maybe it would have been better if I’d not been shepherding 3 mid-20-something young ladies(daughter and 2 other travel-nurse friends) in the process.
Chinatown was… interesting, as was Alcatraz.
Daughter hiked my butt off - I’m just 3 months out from a total knee replacement, but had been doing my PT religiously, lost 40 lbs, and had been hitting the elliptical hard, in anticipation of this trip.
Golden Gate Park was pretty and a good tune-up for what was coming…
Did a 9+ mile hike through the Rancho San Antonio park… nice woodlands and scenic vistas; enjoyed seeing the various oaks - live(evergreen) and deciduous types.
Hiked the Stanford Mall, Stanford U. campus, and ‘The Dish’ the next day.
Was going to Muir Woods, but the ranger at Alcatraz really sang the praises of the Marin Headlands trails, so we did that 12+ mile slog… toughest terrain - up and down - that I encountered at any time… but I made it!!!. Terrific views, but vast expanses of 4 ft tall scrub oak got old pretty quickly… punctuated from time to time by a few patches of wildflowers.
Wine-tasting Sunday at a couple of Sonoma wineries (we’re mostly into sparkling wines) was a nice, relaxing break from the ‘death marches’ daughter was putting me through. lol.
Big Basin had sustained a lot of storm damage and most good trails were closed, so the last day it was back up to do the Muir Woods area, Dipsea and assorted other trails… ended up being nearly a 16 mile hike. Loved the redwoods, but the spruce and pine forests were pretty as well.

Had some good Mexican and Indian food… but…Middle Eastern…just not my deal, though

4 Likes

Eat at Taddich Grill… in one of the wood-paneled booths. The corned beef with boiled cabbage and potatoes is especially good.

Oops. I see you already went. Nevermind!

Thanks all I may want to visit as well All good suggestion to see,
Will keep that in mind about the Wineries Vohd , and area Plummer Josh (quote below)
Also I like rock bars , Josh any suggestions
(when ever I go someplace I ask where the locals hang out do not like clickish bars )

I have a extended time off work so not sure if I want to go, but have no PAssport so Suppose will try someplace different

The coast around Mendocino erupts with plant and bird and other animal life in spring. If you like to wine taste, you can work your way there (or back) through the Anderson Valley.

Generally, +1 on wine tasting (if you like wine, of course). If you want to chat with the winemaker or vineyard manager, avoid Napa and find smaller wineries around Sonoma, Calistoga, Healdsburg, St. Helena, etc. You may have to schedule ahead at the smaller places. If you really like wine, research the sub-regions that excel in the varieties you like because there are a number of them. If you get up into Sonoma County, the Luther Burbank Farm is up there as well as his Home+Gardens.

Quote from Plummer John

Personally, I’d skip the Haight. What is left of the '60s has been packaged and sold. And the panhandlers are more aggressive there than any other place in the city…and that’s really saying something. But Golden Gate Park is near there and is just fantastic. The DeYoung Museum is great (but more modern than the Legion), along with the Steinhart Aquarium. The Japanese Tea Garden is pricey but very beautiful. You can also see the Shakespeare garden, which is free. All four of those things are in the same vicinity. Stow Lake may be fake, but it’s also very peaceful and beautiful, and there’s a rose garden and the Botanical Gardens. There’s also the Conservatory of Flowers, which I’ve never actually been to. All of this is in GG Park.

Twin Peaks has the best view of the whole Bay Area, but there have been some problems there lately with crime (usually not during the day). And if it’s foggy, you won’t see much. If you’re lucky enough to get a clear day, it’s worth the trek, since you can see the Pacific about 100 feet from your view of the City.

If you do go to the Legion, stop at Good Luck Dim Sum on Clement for an extremely inexpensive and fantastic lunch. Just don’t overdo it…your eyes easily get bigger than your head with dim sum. If you want to stop for more food on the way back, Chomp and Swig also on Clement is a cool neighborhood spot with a great, limited menu, good beer, and board games. Avoid driving on Van Ness and Geary, if possible.