Thinning Cherries, Should I thin these

Not being experienced with growing cherries, I read several posts saying Black and White gold overset impacting the sweetness and flavor. The cherries here bloomed well this year and set a good crop, I am wondering if I should thin them. The Black and White gold I already thinned some, the Hudsons are just starting to color and I am wondering if they need thinning. See picts:

12 Likes

What a beautiful sight.

3 Likes

Now your just showing off. I do not know anything about thinning cherries. I thought the only reason you wanted to thin a cherry is if the tree can not support the weight. Looks damm near harvest time, I do not think thinning would be correct now anyway. Harvest and if the sweetness levels are not high enough remember for next year and thin earlier.

3 Likes

Very beautiful indeed. My question is would thinning at this late stage help?

2 Likes

It won’t help much at this late date. Sweet cherries have a short time from set to ripe. They need thinning as soon as set can be determined to help quality.

Those aren’t really very much if any overset. I probably would have thinned some but the only easy way is via pruning. Prune enough to reduce the set and increase vigor. That’s highly variety and rootstock dependent. Some varieties overset easily and shouldn’t be put on certain dwarfing rootstocks.

1 Like

Beautifulllll!

2 Likes

Great job with your cherries! If you want to thin them do it early like Fruitnut advises.

1 Like

What a nice problem to have- too many cherries!

2 Likes

I’ve never heard or read much about thinning cherries. Your trees and fruit look beautiful :slight_smile:
I would only thin if it became too heavy for the limb.

My cherry trees are younger and not that productive yet (one combo tree on G5 and and one White Gold on G3). My combo tree finally produced more than 5-6 cherries this year, but no where near as dense as yours.

1 Like