This is why I love gardening

Top green gooseberry = Hino Yellow
Bottom green gooseberry = Invicta
Right pink currants = Gloire De Sablon
Left pink currants = Pink Champagne
Middle red gooseberry = Hino red
Left red gooseberry = Jahns Prairie
White strawberries = Pineapple crush
Mulberries on the right = Illinois everbearing (very young tree, was surprised I even got berries this year)
Blueberries = Blueray
Honeyberry = Blizzard (very young bush)
White currants = Imperial

And still have a ton of other varieties and species that haven’t even started to ripen. So exciting!

30 Likes

im still way behind but im eating indigo gem/ treat honeyberry, galetta and alpins strawberries as well as some other alpine crosses from the Strawberry Store.

2 Likes

Gotta love some strawberries and honeyberries though, I miss them already. Do you grow any day neutral modern strawberries? My alpines seem to flower and set fruit unless in extreme temperatures while my modern strawberries seem to shut down in the mid 80s. Not sure if thats just due to my alpines being in mostly shade.

If the heat is shutting down your daynutral strawberries… you might give Eversweet a try.
They are known for continuing to fruit thru high temps… 95 degrees…

I tried them here and the first couple of years they did fruit thru all but the hottest weeks of our summer… above 90… they slowed down… below 90 they started up again. Mine were in a food forest bed with no irrigation… mulch but did not get watered.

If you had them in a nice irrigated bed… i bet they would continue to fruit at 95-100.

The flavor is good… classic strawberry taste… not great but pretty good. When all your other strawberries quit producing… Eversweet berries are Great !!!

8 Likes

Thank you for the great tip, I’ll definitely look into getting some eversweets!

I ate some today … July 3rd… 92 degrees.

3 Likes

i had Evie 2 about 5 yrs. ago now that were pretty consistent producers all summer. as long as they got moisture they kept producing. the old variety Sparkle is very heat tolerant as well and crops in mid july here. i.m.o they are hard to beat for the the classic strawberry taste.

2 Likes

@steveb4 — does it actually get hot up there where you live ? I mean like 90+ ? for a few weeks ?

Temps like that for weeks is what really slows down most everbearing strawberries here.

I wish they could develop a strawberry like okra… the hotter and dryer it gets the more it produces.

2 Likes

we get at most a handful of 90’s in a warm summer. average of 10-15 days of 80’s. upper 60’s to mid 70’s from mid june to mid sept. is average.

1 Like

Ill have to check those out too, I’ve been wanting to do some strawberry variety experimentation and my current bed will be on its 4th year next season so I guess its about time. Thanks!

1 Like

Will a hot spell shut down gooseberries even if they’re well watered? In one hot day I had complete fruit drop on Pixwell, Jahns Prairie, Invicta, Jeanne, and Black Velvet. First time this has ever happened.

2 Likes

Unfortunately yes, last year I had a hot spell in the 90s that dropped many of my berries. If there’s forecasted hot spells like that in the future, I’m going to try out shade cloth.

1 Like

Thanks. We had a fairly mild spring for us (south central Kansas) and then temps shot up to near 100.

2 Likes

Yep, almost certainly what caused the dropping. My temps got in the upper 90s that time for a very short period in the past and we lost a good 40% of our crop. Sorry to hear it happened, it’s always a bummer when it does.

1 Like

me too, especially the part where they seem to double in size every day :grin:

2 Likes