Thorny hedge barrier

Long story short, my mom wants to put some type of thorny barrier along about 20-30 ft of her property that people like to park on (fencing isn’t practical)

There would need to be some tolerance for road run off, Z7a, it’s also full sun.

Between the various black/raspberry etc or another berry type hedge/shrub. Taste isn’t as important as well.

Does anyone know one that’s particularly extra thorny with a high degree of suckering? Doesn’t need to be tall but more of a spreading.

Or anyone else dealt with this before and put one in? Pretty much looking for the opposite of what a lot of stuff is bred for nowadays :rofl:

2 Likes

There isn’t anything thornier than a rugosa rose. Nice fragrant flowers and huge hips. It’s also known as apple rose. You just have to check, if it isn’t on the invasives list in your state.

6 Likes

Wild thorny vine roses. Those thorns alway make we go ouch.

6 Likes

@EJh

An army would struggle to get through these heirlooms

An automobile cannot get through a thick patch of them

8 Likes

Wow that’s beautiful :scream:

2 Likes

I have a fascination with spines/thorns…

Clarks Heirloom Blackberry…as he has said. It is uncontrollable in my fertile soil.

Forest Apples.
Wild Plums
Wild Pears
Gooseberries
Acacia
Devils Walking Stick
Black Locust

However if you want to get serious.

Rubus Cockburnianus (yes that is a real name and you can imagine why).

images

I have a new blackberry going that may be thornier than Clark’s. Im waiting on it to fruit now to see if its worth the suffering. You cant even touch the leaves on it.

I have some swamp rose going…its nasty.

Hawthorn is nasty

Honey Locust

However the one that gets me is the Wineberry…jeez they taste so good… but there is always these tiny little shiites that get me.

However if you want the Elvis… the thing that says stay tf away and dont even look… The Hardy Orange

12 Likes

I also was going to suggest flying dragon, the other suggestions are faster growing tho

2 Likes

Own-root che, maybe? That is my plan for a similar planting. I was originally thinking trifoliate (not FD, just regular trifoliate), but when I saw the warnings about how che forms thick, thorny thickets on its own roots, I decided to go that route instead. I’m still at the early stage of rooting the cuttings, but it looks like a very high percentage of dormant cuttings (from both Marta and England’s) are taking.

4 Likes

@EJh

If you stood on the other side with a million dollars and the requirement for someone was to cross the patch to get that million they will never make it.

8 Likes

I’ve been through similarly thick multiflora patches, but with many winter layers on.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend own root Che, although it would absolutely do what is being requested.

1 Like

Br’er Rabbit is the only one that can.

3 Likes

research “warty barberry”. I grew this as a hedgerow for some years.

3 Likes

Is there a reason you wouldn’t recommend it? The spot I’m wanting an impenetrable hedge is along the rear of my lot, in an alleyway right-of-way where there’s currently an old fence that I want to remove. Many yards in my area have that area taken over by Himalayan blackberries, but those are my sworn enemy so I wanted something else instead.

3 Likes

i hunted in s. P.A many moons ago. they have cats claw briars there. the harder you pull away from them the more they dig in. only the deer managed to get through them unscathed. wicked things. seen hedgerows of it growing 20ft. thick and wide in fun sun.

1 Like

Works so well you have to prune it in welding gloves…

4 Likes

It’s my understanding that it is a horrendously vigorous suckerer that is near impossible to eradicate and very invasive on its own roots. Also apparently it pops suckers all over very far away like maypop.

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard about the long distance runners, that could be concerning. Though the area I’m planting has an alleyway on one side and a huge California bay laurel tree on the other side, which is allelopathic, releasing chemicals that specifically inhibit root development. So I’m hopeful that whatever suckering hedge I end up planting will stay within bounds, so to speak.

1 Like

My parents plan to mow over, or hedge trimmer anything that pops up out of bounds. So I’m looking at more of the bramble stuff than the tree forms. Although some of the threes are quite impressive :dizzy_face:

Glad my question gave you a list of stuff too !

3 Likes

Steve, do you mean multiflora rose, or greenbriar? Multiflora just tried to take a nice chunk of my left ear a few days ago.

1 Like