Thoughts on growing raspberries around planted cherry trees in pots

I saw a video where he talked about planting raspberries under cherry trees to mimic the forest. Do you think this is a good idea? It seems like a interesting idea to me. If you think it could work do you think I should plant a certain kind of tree (Floricane vs Primocane)?

Folowing, I have sour cherries

1 Like

I think for cherries and raspberries you would want a larger bed style container and that if you want to do companion planting with the cherry trees in pots i would recommend a bit larger of a pot and probably clover or chamomile and putting raspberries in a seperate pot.

1 Like

I should mention I do have a good sized container. My container is 30 inches wide.

1 Like

Imo still too small for raspberry and a cherry you probably need 100 gallons ish to keep both happy together since raspberry is so competitive and you dont have the layers or cubic inches and all the magic from the earth. It will work with that size but wont be totally stress free

You could do strawberries for sure in that size or the clover, chamomile or lettuce greens, oregano, chives or scallions (top harvest only) .

2 Likes

i have strawberries and arctic raspberries growing around all my inground trees and larger bushes. they are growing fine. as long as last seasons strawberriy plants get pulled out each spring they continue to grow well.

2 Likes

What do you think of planting something like lemon balm instead of raspberries. You said chamomile so will any herbs not stress the cherry plants or will certain ones stress the cherry plants?

1 Like

Melissa is great for a container companion and has the same root structure as mint and will act similar with beneficials

2 Likes

i also have many herbs and beneficial flowers around my fruit trees and bushes with no problems. once your trees and shrubs get big enough they will shade out anything that gets too close anyway.

2 Likes

I have had raspberries growing under my cherry trees for years. First reds then later switched to yellows(ever bearing). Both cherries and raspberries produce fruit every year. Mine aren’t in containers but don’t see any reason for it not working.

1 Like