Thoughts on my peach pruning

I have a really old peach tree that I top worked a couple of years ago. It will be replaced one of these years with some seedlings I am growing but in the meantime it has been good for learning peach grafting. Now maybe I can learn something about peach pruning. Here are the before and after pictures, any input is welcome.

2 Likes

Looks like what I do. I am no expert.

I like short and horizontal spreading with an open center. Eventually or with some extra coercion on your behalf weighing down or staking branches, you’ll get it horizontal. Then you begin the process of cutting growth on the new shoots on your main limbs to a few buds to spur them up. I go with the advice given for cordon pruning grapes to create and continue spurring habits. I’m new to this stuff though.

Dax

1 Like

It looks really good to me. Good job, you were not shy in pruning, which is good.

2 Likes

Derby it looks very nice. When did you graft it? How many varieties?

1 Like

It is one variety, I grafted it the spring of 2015. I added a second variety in the spring of 2016 , but it blew out in a thunderstorm.

Derby,

Thanks for posting this. I remember when you first started doing work to this tree. I think I still remember the same fencing in the background.

I think overall you are keeping the new growth thinned out enough ( A+ on that.) I might have gotten rid of some of the more vigorous uprights, but really I don’t have any experience with rejuvenating old trees.

Whether you’ve done the training perfect or not, I think you’ve done a bang up job transforming the tree with new cultivars. :raised_hands: Yay!

2 Likes

Here it is this spring, the blooms did not survive last spring so the was no fruit to pull limbs down. I might need to take more off ?

2 Likes

If the tree were mine,yes,I’d take about a third off the longest laterals.bb

1 Like