Thoughts on shinko pear

Found Shinko Asian pear at Kroger for $20 is it worth growing in Kentucky and is it self pollinating?

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™ve had one in ground in Rockcastle County for a few years. No fruit yetā€”but thatā€™s not its fault; itā€™s the late freezes. Despite the uncooperative Kentucky weather, it shows signs of precocity: it just loves making spurs. It might just be my particular growing conditions, but itā€™s the smallest, slowest growing Asian pear weā€™ve gotā€”and this does jibe with this South Carolina study which found it ā€œthe least vigorousā€ of seven cultivars trialed in that state on P. betulifolia stock (mine, if Iā€™m remembering aright, is on OHXF 87). Along with ā€œOlympicā€/ā€œLarge Korean,ā€ it has a reputation as being one of the most fire blight-resistant Asian cultivars; Iā€™ve yet to see a strike on mine. (It was the most resistant cultivar in the SC study.)

No pear, as far as Iā€™m aware, is strongly self-fertileā€¦ Any pear (with non-sterile pollen) that blooms at the same time should pollinate it. Orange Pippin Fruit Trees lists many (but by no means all, as their pollination compatibility lists are limited to their catalog) compatible pollenizers here. Even nearby ornamental callery pears, if bloom time overlaps, should do the trick.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had it for years, down here in Hoptown; one of the first Asian pears that I planted 25 yrs ago.
Iā€™d lost it to the tennis court we put in in the early 2000s, but a friend sent me a replacement on Callery rootstock - from scions Iā€™d sent him a year or two earlierā€¦ has grown like a rocket, on callery - was slower growing on the original Harbin pear understock.
Big, tasty pears, Latest-ripening Asian pear that I have, very productive. For 20 bucksā€¦ you canā€™t hardly go wrong with it. Self-pollinatingā€¦ IDKā€¦ but I have numerous other pears. You could always graft in a branch or two of a suitable pollenizer, if you only have room for one.

3 Likes

I like it. There is some information about my experiences with it at the end of this thread.

1 Like

Shinko has a strong flavor- more intense than most. A light brown skin- not a very large fruit, but I like it.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses for a six foot tree for $20 bucks I think Iā€™m going to give it a go.

1 Like

Shinko is the largest-fruited Asian Pear I have grown - except for Korean Giant, which never set more than one or two fruits per yearā€¦ so those would be huge, juicy, flavorless thingsā€¦ like eating a raw watery potato. Iā€™d guess that most of my Shinko pears last year averaged no less than 4" diameterā€¦ some larger.

2 Likes

I think theyā€™re fantastic. One of the only Asian pears Iā€™ve eaten & off a tree at Red Fern Farm in Wapello, Iowa. Here I am holding (3) of them. My hand is 7" long and skinny fingers, not a large hand.

4 Likes

recommended in this Kentucky guide

2 Likes

Š’сŠµŠ¼ ŠæрŠøŠ²ŠµŃ‚! ŠŸŃ€Š¾Š±ŃƒŃŽ Š·Š“ŠµŃŃŒ Š²ŠæŠµŃ€Š²Ń‹Šµ Š½Š°ŠæŠøсŠ°Ń‚ŃŒ! Š’сŠµŠ¼ Š“Š¾Š±Ń€Š° Šø Š¼ŠøрŠ°!

I ripened Shinko in zone 4b Maine for the first time this year. Itā€™s late but not too late and the flavor is top notch. We enjoyed a few in the orchard and my friend said it was the best pear sheā€™d ever had! Nice butterscotch flavor with a sweetness and touch of acidity to keep things interesting. Attractive smooth russet skin. Winner!

Sounds awesome, mine has been growing like a weed straight to the moon. Iā€™ve also grafted other varieties to it. It set fruits this year but they were deformed either due to PC damage or cedar apple rust.

3 Likes

Looks nice Iā€™m betting you donā€™t have to spray with anything? PC is bad down here Iā€™ve even seen them on my persimmon fruits but no damage to them just seemed to be attracted to them.

I have a Shinko, planted in 2020. It had its first fruit this year, and my nephew got it. He said it was juicy and delicious. That is welcome news because from what I have read about Shinko, it produces excellent fruit under some growing conditions, and ā€œmehā€ fruit in others.

Shinko flowered heavily this year, but the only nearby Asian (Korean Giant) only had a few blossoms, so I think I otherwise would have had more fruit. Below is the lone Shinko fruit as of the first week of August:

Shinko has a nice, more spreading habit with better natural branch angles than my other pears. The foliage is also prettier, with particularly dark green leaves. It is reported to have the best blight resistance of any Asian pear, and I am happy that I planted it. I have never had to spray it.

2 Likes

That looks amazing

How is the fire blight resistance in shinko?

Itā€™s supposed to be the best.

Fire blight resistant according to the literature, I didnā€™t spray and some fruit came out clean while others were misshapen due to possible pc stings but still totally edible

I like Shinko. It is my latest pear. On callery, here, it is very fastigiateā€¦15+ ft. tall but well under 10 ft. wideā€¦ a straight-up beanpole. No FB, but itā€™s late enough ripening that wasps, hornets are a major issue, damaging far more fruits and initiating rot than they eat .
Butā€¦in my orchard, Chojuro is still tops for flavor.

1 Like