Thoughts on what this pear could be?

Sorry forgot to take a picture of the pears before I enhaled them?! My brother has a old pear tree maybe 15’ tall on a lot that he owns. Pears are about 1 1/2 times the size of a golf ball, look similar to a Bartlett, taste like a Bartlett, do not rot on the tree, when we pick them this time of year they are ripe on the tree, tree never shows symptoms of fireblight and we do have fire blight in the area. From everything I have read Bartletts tend to be fire blight magnets. Any thoughts on the variety?

1 Like

Sounds like a Seckel Pear to me. Google Seckel Pears and see if it’s a match.

My red blushing Bartlett are not bad to get Fireblight. They are not a large sized pear but more of a medium. Keep in mind they could have been mislabeled. We are typically slightly warmer here so our ripening time would be sooner. They have some grit but are very sweet and dripping with juice. They are large some years and can be yellow but both conditions are rare. This year we got half normal bloom and 1/4 the normal fruits and the pears were same size as always. Sounds like it could be a Bartlett if the soil is heavy clay there. More than likely it’s not Bartlett and is one of the thousand of other possibilities.

I have never seen any blush on these pears. Light green-yellow skin. All I know is I could eat enough to make me sick every time. I have some young trees that I grafted off this old tree, but they are probably a year or two away from producing. The young trees are fairly vigorous growers, but tend to be on the spindly side.

1 Like

I picked these pears off a severely neglected yard tree. It is covered in vines but where it got some light it made fruit. They are very hard right now , I thought I would give them a week on the counter and see if they will ripen. Any ideas what it might be?

2 Likes

Looks similar to Kieffer

1 Like

Derby,
They should turn yellow in the next couple of weeks. They do look like a Kieffer.

TurkeyCreek,
They seem like an interesting pear. What does the foliage look like?

Clark I think I may have sent you some scion from this tree last spring. I call it “ATA” until I can if ever identify it. I will try and get pictures of the fruit and foliage in the next few days.

1 Like

TurkeyCreekTrees,
I’m going to check and make sure it got through the storms. It was a tough year for grafting here. I lost my prized cherry grafts to deer and a large number of pears to hail and wind. I was lucky to get one sweet cherry graft to survive. The oldest most difficult pear trees I grafted in a dozen places using clara frijs, douglas, or a seedling pear that I have because they graft easier. Some of those trees only had one or two limbs survive those storms and incompatibility. I’m relieved but was one storm away from total failure. When the rains came it was like watering my new trees with a firehose for 5 minutes. Feeling very fortunate overall because the same storms kept many of my new trees alive

1 Like

Turkeycreektrees,
Looks like I lucked out and the TS hardy and ATA made it. Unfortunately the Stacey pear did not.

Ata is a pear that’s very unique and I grow a lot of different pears. Still trying to identify it but if I can’t figure it out by the foliage I wonder if it will help me identify it when it produces fruit.

3 Likes