Tigernut horchata

the most expensive horchata we got to try at ~4$ a quart. But hands down the best ‘nut’-based beverage have tried, though technically not nuts(and not tigers’ nuts either). Rich and nutty and much better tasting than almond-based. Product is imported from spain. Perhaps a worthy business venture here in usa, since it is supposedly a noxious weed

even roundup doesn’t destroy it.

That has got to be a problem crop if every anyone saw one. It needs about a 110 day growing period but its also photo sensitive so harvest time in a place like Spain is Nov-Dec. Then they go though a long period of three months sun drying to be made ready to eat. I planted a few year ago in zone 7 and it did not overwinter and survive, which is good I suppose. Tubers started to develop as soon as it became root bound in the jiffy pots I started them in. If I had planted them out side sooner I am sure I could have had quite a harvest but the few I did bring in and dry shriveled down to nothing indicating to me they where way too immature. I have at least 20-30 left. I will find a spot for them next year and give them another shot.

seems like it is a problem as a crop-- and evidently a huge problem as a weed. Probably why it costs an arm and a leg for a pint.
am impressed that at least one poster here has delved in it— you :slight_smile:
and you can dub me ‘drunkard’, am a huge fan!

have been researching on it myself as soon as i chugged my first swig. It is supposedly a common pest here in usa, but at 4$ a beer stein, there should be a market for it! It is also very nutritious –

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/227303001_Chemical_and_fatty_acid_composition_of_Cyperus_esculentus

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/weeds/yellow-nutsedge.aspx

I want someone to find a use for goat weed…

looked it up but seems it is only useful for low libido/ impotence

which am sure no one in this forum(of healthy fruit eaters) needs just yet :grinning:

1 Like

Right! I have seen that on Google. However I think that might be a different goat weed. This is Texas goatweed (Croton capitatus, not limited to Texas) but supposed to be poisonous even to cattle … but then “one man’s poison…”

oh i see now…
yeah, those croton spurges are toughies. Cassava is perhaps the only edible member of their family, and even that needs a bit of processing to be edible.

hey @k8tpayaso goat weed is also good for mental performance
epimedium sagittatum
not sure about your texas goat weed :stuck_out_tongue:

Different stuff…this is also called skunkweed. It is horrible stinking fuzzy weed that grows 3-4 feet high if not controlled. It really needs to be good for something!!! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Have planted chufa (tigernut) on numerous occasions - primarily for turkey (and whitetail deer, to a lesser degree). Figured out, as a young kid that the tubers had a very pronounced ‘coconut’ flavor to them. Wildlife will literally till the ground to get at those tasty little tubers.
I know they’re botanically the same species, but the cultivated chufa is NOT the same as the common yellow nutsedge that is common in yards/pastures. I’ve never seen tubers when I’ve dug it out - and never see any evidence that the local deer/turkeys are trying to get at any underground tubers.

your description and other descriptions have seen online really fit the bill. It has a pleasant and rich nutty flavor, at least from what could taste from the beverage.

that’s intriguing. Seems like there might be several cultivars of the species. The lady who wrote the article i posted above seemed to have the cultivated variety, being able to tell it apart from another edible sedge

was also thinking if might also be due to growing conditions, much like sweet potatoes will not develop yams when grown under part-shade/shade, or when grown in water-logged conditions. The vines get weedy(in their attempts to reach more sunlight), or higher ground with good drainage, but at the expense of producing yams.

I planted chufa tigernut this year. I wanted to try them.
they are a good snack.
but fresh the taste was not convincing for me not bad but also not very good and had very little coconut flavor.
if possible i would plant them in sand, because it is work to wash the small tubers.

I think they taste better dried

2 Likes

I assume my last remaining tigernut froze to death now. Winter came early

to be fair. I have never tasted tigernut milk or flour.
I was told it tastes good.

to complete my taste experience. 5 people have tried them all thought it was interesting something different, but not “wow this is tasty”.
it’s hard to describe the taste.
kinda like almonds with a hint of coconut and some sweetness.
But they were all freshly harvested and not dried.

But it is an easy plant. easy to multiply. You don’t have to buy new tubers every year and you can easily share them with someone who wants to plant them too.

1 Like

Maby you have tigernut formed below…

2 Likes

Sorry what do you mean with that?

maybe I did something wrong with the plants. and they can taste better

1 Like

Did you saw if there are nuts formed on soil?

I took them out of the ground and harvested the tubers/nuts that’s where on the roots.
There where all summer in full sun. But maybe they need more light or the soil was to rich?

1 Like

Yes… i didn’t understand you did it…

1 Like

Did your tiger nuts tasted better ?
Of course taste is different but more intensive than my description?

1 Like

There are many varieties… with diferent tastes. I buy them from Germany.