TIME LAPSE - KING DAVID APPLE - Z5b NY

KING DAVID APPLE
ZONE 5b - 35 MILES SOUTH OF ALBANY NY

42 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Very nice looking apples, how did they taste? I’m curious because we have a KD tree also, fourth leaf this year. Hope we get some fruit off it this season. How old is your tree, and does it have any disease issues, like fireblight?

Thanks for sharing all these time-lapse pics.

That was excellent, Love the pics and to watch the progression and how they colored.

2 Likes

@subdood_ky_z6b

Like them alot.

Sweet - slightly tart . Only downside is that they are not very large.

Mike

3 Likes

Thanks for this. Your trees look beautiful! I’d like to try doing espalier some day. I’ll be grafting some King David scions this year.
Anyone know how resistant or susceptible KD is to scab? I’ve heard conflicting information on this.

Is that as dark as they got? They’re still not ripe when that color here, they’re a lot more purple

4 Likes

Good to hear, thanks. They have a beautiful deep red, almost purple color to them. Maybe that’s the Arkansas Black parentage coming through? I’ve read it’s a Jonathan and either a Winesap or AB cross.

@applenut

Yes that is about it but they were a little deeper red than it looks in the photos but not as dark as yours. They started to fall off the tree and they came off in my hand very easily.

Mike

King David is as close as I’ve come to a positive ID on my “not Macintosh” tree from 1991…since I grafted a King David scion, maybe someday I’ll be able to do a side by side comparison. (I have Winesap and did have Arkansas Black, so I know those).
Deep red apples of medium size with yellow flesh and make a good pie, and also dried apples, so long as you don’t mind the browning…and hang on tree past being ripe (if wildlife will let them).
Very disease resistant tree.

1 Like

In zone 7B here King David can be a fire blight Monster. Beware. It gets a lot of blight but tends to wall it off so it doesn’t kill the tree but it will happily infect your other trees. Around here King David is really rolling the dice. Fabulous tase almost worth the trouble.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. We got no fruit from it this year, and I didn’t notice any fireblight strikes. But, it didn’t bloom, so that’s probably why.

It sounds like a interesting apple. It has pretty good size to it, about 7ft tall with good scaffolds. It’ll be a 5th leaf tree, so hope next year will be the year we get something off it.

There’s a Pristine apple next to it and it bloomed twice, the second time was in late May. As a result, it got a FB strike, so I had to prune off about 3ft of a branch. It didn’t produce any viable fruit, but maybe next year it’ll do better.

I thought Pristine was ‘disease resistant’?

It is somewhat susceptible to FB and cedar apple rust, but resistant to scab. Remember this strike came after a second later bloom (May), so the conditions were prob more favorable for FB. It’s the earliest producing apple I have, but blooms later than most of them.

1 Like