To late for dormant spraying?

The Bonide Copper is weak against Peach Leaf Curl.
If Liqui-Cop by Monterey or Liquid Copper Fungicide from Southern AG can be found and used,preferably with a sticker,that should work.Both have 27% Copper diammonia diacetate.bb

Useless crap, way too weak to be good for anything but maybe powdery mildew.
Kocide is the very best.

Oops… I fixed the link, Peaceful Valley sells it still. But it is 2.5 gallons.

Agreed on the Bonide copper. I use Kocide when I spray copper.

Me too! They claim the copper ions are released over a longer period of time which helps a lot. It’s available in an organic version too. .

MCE or Metallic Copper Equivalent seems to be the magic number. Kocide 3000 is 30% MCE. Its possible and probably safe to spray lower copper doses even as late as bloom or shuck split on Peaches as suggested by the commercial spray guide but the rate is reduced from around 2.5# MCE per acre to about 0.1# MCE/acre which ain’t much

Edit: Forgot to mention the copper soaps. I believe the Bonide is a copper soap with a MCE of just a little more than 1%. I have never used these products but I suspect they may be helpful for some disease problems if sprayed a couple of times a month as an alternative to constantly spraying synthetic chemical fungicides that we discuss a lot

1 Like

Release your Masons when your trees have their first blooms open.

1 Like

50f Kocide in hand. Am I clear to spray? For my purpose black knot the insturctions say to apply at bud swell up to early bloom.

But how do I dilute 1.75-3.5lb per Acre down to a 2 gallon sprayer.

@scottfsmith Do the calculations look right

Kocide 1.75lb (.8kg) per acre
Water 400 Gallons (1514L) per acre

weight_volume_percent_concentration_equation%5B1%5D

= 0.05284 kg/Liter or .44lb/gallon

Nearly a half # per gallon?

1 Like

yea, hence why I am reaching out for expertise. The solution might be dividing by 100.

It says 1.75 lb per 400 gallons so that is (1.75/400) lbs per gallon, i.e. .0044 lbs/gallon.

Also see Spray amounts guide where there should be a recommended amount for Kocide amongst other things.

1 Like

@jaypeedee has to be right: if 1.75 pounds, or 28 ounces, is correct for 400 gallons, then for 1 gallon it would have to be 28 ounces divided by 400 equals .07 ounces. That’s hard to measure accurately without a triple beam balance or powder scale. But if you do have a trip beam then you need .07 times 28.35 equals very near 2 grams. Just for the heck of it I weighed a teaspoon of corn starch and it was close to 3.7 grams; a teaspoon of table salt was very close to 7 grams.

If Kocide is stable in solution and you could get enough to go into solution you could mix up a concentrate, say 10 grams in 100 ml, or 100 grams in a liter. Then 20 ml of solution would have 2 grams of Kocide in it.

But let’s get somebody else to weigh in; I’m no chemist and it has been a long time since I had to know how to figure this stuff back when I sold chemicals to photographers.

Thanks. I wrecked my only pair at the waterpark a month ago. I am going to blame my glasses and rapid onset Presbyopia for my inability to read and comprehend.

Found the link in @J.D post that gives a solution for Kocide 2000 2tsp/gal @ 1.5lb/A.
Now Kocide 2000 and 3000 have similar % of active ingredients but the pounds per Acre are about double. And if I apply that to the figure for Kocide 3000 I get about I get 4.66 tbs or 1.5Tablespoons or in other words exactly what @scottfsmith put in his Spray amounts guide.

1 Like

I just sprayed Kocide 3000 today. Mixed .5 gallon of water with 1 tablespoon of Kocide and .5 tea spoon of Nufilm. Turned out I should’ve mixed a full gallon. I sprayed plums and peaches. I’ll have to mix another .5 gallon some other time for grape vine and pears. Plums and apricots were getting ready to bloom so I’m glad at least part of the spraying is done.

1 Like

Its hard to take the label rates for pounds per acre designed for farm use and convert it into something usable on small scale especially since most commercial growers rarely spray 400 gal/acre anymore.

Here is one example of how to do it: The max label rate for Kocide 3000 on dormant apples or peaches is 7 pounds per acre. I spray 100 gal/acre or 7#/ per 100Gal or .07 pounds per gal. Just a little more than 1 ounce per gallon.

I have no idea how many Tablespoons per gallon

Its a lot more accurate to measure chemicals by weight than volume especially since the density of each material is different. A tablespoon of copper will not weigh the same as a tablespoon of Imidan for example . A good digital scale now cost less than $20. It really helps reduce errors made when converting weight to volume

2 Likes

256 tablespoons are in a gallon.I Googled it.bb

1 Like

Thank you for the tablespoon to gallon conversion, but I believe I may have failed to communicate my point properly. I have no idea how many tablespoons of Kocide 3000 or any material to place in one gallon of water in order to comply with the label that specifies the rate in terms of pounds per acre. Although 256 tablespoons are in 1 gallon of water that knowledge really does not help determine how much Kocide 3000 to place in a gallon of water

Chemicals targeted to home owners are normally specified in tablespoons or fluid ounces per gallon so a tablespoon is the perfect measuring device.

Farm chemical labels are different. They are typically specified in terms of ounces or pounds per acre or sometimes just fluid ounces ounces per acre. The conversion to get the proper amount of material to place in one gallon of water is more difficult and requires an assumption on the amount of water required to cover the entire acre and a precise measurement of the materials required. When the label specifies pounds per acre its a lot safer to get the actual weight for the material to be applied rather than some estimate based on tablespoons. For farm chemicals where the rate is specified in fluid ounces per acre a tablespoon or even a teaspoon may be the perfect unit of measurement for a small sprayer

Kocide 3000 is one of those materials where the label specifies the rate in terms of pounds per acre.

1 Like

I guess that was pulled out of context,my bad.bb

University of KT was helpful enough to do the mesurements for us. While Kocide 3000 was not calucated Kocide 2000 was. If they have similar density then 1TBSP/gallon is 150% of 1.5lb/acre

Dry Pesticide Rates for Hand-Held Sprayers.

Looks like excellent and useful information