This is a wiki page for how much to spray of various chemicals. Many labels are for commercial use only and are in pounds per acre which is not very helpful for us home growers; do first read the product label to see if it has a good amount on it.
Before getting into our own collected wisdom, U KY Dry Pesticide Rates is a pdf with per gallon amounts for many powders.
- Pretty much any horticultural oil - 1-2% which is from 2.5 Tbsp to 1/3 cup per gallon. Use 2% for dormant and 1-2% for growing season depending on pest and kind of oil.
- Most oils can’t be sprayed above mid-90’s or below 40F weather, and don’t spray oil when you sprayed sulphur recently and can still smell it.
- Every copper product is a bit different, they are all within a factor of two of one another though.
- Kocide 3000 - dormant 2 Tbsp/gal; growing season 1tsp/gal (copper can be sensitive to some leaf tissues, check into it before spraying copper on a fully leafed-out tree)
- Every sulphur product is somewhat different but like coppers they are all in a somewhat similar range for how much to use.
- Don’t spray sulphur in the day or two after an oil application, unless it is a dormant spray.
- Kumulus DF - 2-3Tbsp/gal
- Bonide liquid sulphur - 3-5 Tbsp/gal
- Plums and Pears dormant, 1/2c/gal
- Apples dormant, 1/3c/gal
- Apple growing, 1/4c/gal
- Its fine to mix with oil but for dormant spray only
- 3 Tbsp per gallon
- Nufilm-17 - 1/2 tsp per gallon
- Don’t use Nufilm with Surround. Do use it with sulphur and copper if possible.
- Pinene II - 1/2 tsp per gallon
- 2-3 cups per gallon. Use 3c/gal if the coat is thin or nonexistent and 2c if its decent. For mild stinkbug issues tank mix in 1 c/gal with some other spray.
Synthetic disease control
- Indar - 1/4 tsp/gal
- Bonide Infuse (was Monterey Fungi Fighter) (propiconazole) - 2 Tbsp/gal
- Elevate 50 WDG - 1 tsp/gal
- Eagle 20EW (myclobutanil) - around 1/3 tsp/gal
- Captan 50% WP - 2 Tbsp/gal
- Captan 70 WG - Tbsp/gal
- Rally/Nova 40W 1/2 tsp/gal
- Entrust (spinosad) - 1/8 tsp/gal
- Captain Jack’s Deadbug (.5% Spinosad) 4 Tbsp/gal
- Serenade ASO (liquid) - 1/2 c per gallon
- Regalia - 4 tsp per gallon
- Dipel DF (Bt) - 1 Tbsp per gallon
- Bonide Dipel (Bt) - 3 Tbsp/gallon
- Kaligreen 1 Tbsp/gal
- Madex HP 1/10 tsp/gal
- Venerate XC 2 tbsp/gal
- Grandevo WDG 1 1/3 tbsp / gal
Moth mating disruption lures
- For a home orchard, space them around 10’ apart and in the upper 1/3 of the canopy.
Synthetic bug control
- Imidan 70 WP - 1 Tbsp per gallon
- 1 cup = 8 oz = 16 Tbsp
- 1/4 cup = 4 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp = 3 tsp
- 1 oz = 1/8 cup = 2 Tbsp = 6 tsp
- 1 gal = 128 oz = 16 cups
- 1 acre roughly needs 100 gallons of spray for homeowner type sprayers; use that for commercial labels that give per acre amounts.