To pee or not to pee, that is the question

definitely good for environment and water conservation if have a sizeable yard to do it in, and if done correctly to minimize stinking up your property with ammonia. Besides, if you smell ammonia, it means you leached out valuable nitrogen into the air.

Don’t Pee on Your Garden After You Read This (yahoo.com)

1 Like

The correct way to do it if in a jug so you can dilute it 5:1 before application. At this ratio it is more potent than miraclegro, minimizes salt build up, smell, and is less likely to nitrogen burn plants.

3 Likes

been doing it like that for 5 yrs now. occasionally when im working outside i make a direct deposit into the mulch which buffers it. :wink:

2 Likes

Me too, but on compost piles.

1 Like

Buffers it from what? And how?

I find 1:1 ratio acceptable for most purposes and doesn’t burn established plants if dispensed sparingly.
Too bad it doesn’t
scare off squirrels.

I have been using pee for a long time for growth as well as homo Sapiens deterrents

@jujubemulberry

Raf,

Why not just buy a wall hanger and plum it out to a holding tank or direct to the irrigation system if your going to use urine? Im assuming a 250 gallon tank would be plenty to dilute with water.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Dexter-0-125-GPF-Urinal-with-Top-Spud-in-White-K-5452-ET-0/206964436?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

We use septic here so we are already indirectly doing that as urine goes out the lateral lines and solids stay behind that are pumped out every 5 or so years and taken to the waste treatment facility.

1 Like

I did the math a while back and at 5:1 dilution it was still more powerful than the usual dose of MiracleGro.

septic tanks have that “advantage”, since it will fertilize the soil it is sitting on, one way or other. Old houses here(las vegas, nv) have been grandfathered re: use of septic tanks, but new housing will have to be hooked up to city sewers.

as for urine being fertilizer, i agree it is such, but just have to get it diluted to minimize concentration of salt and excessive nitrogen effects. I think it is sodium solute that is most harmful, on top of the realtively high nitrogen content which could overdose

while i understand the ewww factor many folks associate with human pee and poo, i personally think there is nothing wrong with it as long as it is poured/buried into holes way below ground level and covered with mulch which deep-rooted trees’ can avail of(not to be used on vegies, especially not on carrots or sweet potatoes, haha). Actually tell my folks that once assumed my mortal fate, i would prefer for all my still-functional organs/tissues be donated, and the rest of my naked carcass be dumped into a really deep hole in our yard along with all kitchen refuse, leaf litter, kitty/doggy poo, etc, then topped with silt and sand and watered down, but i doubt if clark county will let my folks do that :smile:

1 Like

I believe it also causes volatilization and loss of N back to the atmosphere. If you want to be sure it makes it to soil it may help to water it in after applying to mulch.

The problem with septic systems is that in areas where soil becomes seasonably saturated they can fail to function- something like 20% of N going into septic systems ends up polluting waterways and ground water. Improperly maintained septic tanks are often cited as the main problem, but when I lived in S. CA, many septic systems failed during any particularly wet rain season.

The last place I lived there was a room I rented with a big sunken bath tub that sometimes filled up with septic overflow. The home was on a steep cliff directly over the ocean in Malibu, so I put up with the occasional disgusting inconvenience of floating turds in my bathtub.

4 Likes

MiracleGro is basically a product for dummies…formulated so even the unknowing don’t goof up too badly.

There is a pretty high price to pay for such ‘insurance’ though.

I used to save it in buckets then pour it into flower beds heavily in the fall but then i saw this video years ago and this is what i do now. Works nicely.

2 Likes

i have 3in. of mulch around all my plants /trees. it absorbs the urine and releases it more slowly. at least thats my theory as i havent burnt my plants from me doing it for 5 years now. i try to water that spot afterwards but admit i have forgotten many times.

2 Likes

oh im sure some goes back in the air but alot gets absorbed by the mulch then released when it rains or composts the wood chips. i do try and water it in but forget more times than not.

yep. same here. keep it under the bathroom sink then when full it goes into the back shed or directly into the chic bedding or compost pile.

1 Like

@alan

Thats terrible to have turds like that floating in a tub. In my area we have few building laws but they are very strict on septic systems and require perc tests and proper installation.

2 Likes

Well you know, nothing but trailer trash in Malibu- they ignore health codes.

3 Likes

@alan

Have no idea about Malibu I’m sure it’s nice but we’ve never been there. Wouldn’t think that close to the ocean they would use septic. California is typically strict on everything to a fault. In my area my septic guy put the laterals deep and there were lots of them. There has never been anything like that happen here unless as you mentioned they were not pumped out on time or had blockage. Lagoons are another story here and they do overflow at times.

1 Like

its going to cost us $12,000 to replace ours. its near 50 yrs old so over due. started smelling septic last spring when the water table was high. 60% of the cost is disposing of the ‘‘old’’ septic. not looking forward to the damage its going to cause to my food forest/ orchard that’s planted around it. last time we had it pumped last spring, the guy said he saw rocks and dirt in there so the steel holding tank is shot. no runoff in the ditch yet but will soon if we dont do something about it.

1 Like