Tomatoes Grafted onto Potatoes

Eggplant used as rootstock is selected for resistance to soil diseases and pests. It is usually very resistant to nematodes among others. Do some digging on the net, there are articles about species and varieties used.

I don’t know of any work with tamarillo as rootstock. This does not mean it won’t work, just that I don’t know of anything done with it.

1 Like

I tried it, but with no success, I even tried to graft a physalis on it…

Maybe you will have more success when you let grow them together, instead graft scoin on rootstock

2 Likes

I am curious about tomato/potato grafting. But for other reasons than the double cropping. ( i don’t think it will yield a successful double crop!)

Could you graft a tomato to a shoot of a large potato. (and remove the eye’s/shoots with potato leaves) To force the energy and nutrients that the potato has stored into the tomato plant? Basically sacrificing the potato tuber for early season growth spurt of the tomato.

Burying the graft afterwards. So the tomato can own root when the soil warms up. Also giving the tomato a more cold tolerant rootstock in the beginning of the season.

How about pepers grafted onto potato? You say pepers rarely accept grafts. But do other plants accept peper scions? I think i remember seeing somewhere that someone successfully grafted peper on tomato. The peper scion showed growth. But they did not follow up on it’s harvest.

I’m also gonna try (if i don’t get to busy) grafting different pepers on rocoto peper. Since rocoto is supposedly quite cold tolerant. As a experiment.

What about some of the more wild growing small fruited tomato’s (or wild tomato’s). They could have some leftover photosynthate to form potato’s?

I also want to graft some tomato’s to potato’s to get both tomato and potato from 1 plant. Not for yield but more as a fun curiosity for my nephew.

I have access to a few different potato’s.
early 90-100 growing days (we plant these at earliest second half of march)
to late varieties ~150 growing days. That we plant ~2-3 weeks later (april thus)
and in between.

Since we can have night frosts till half of may. I expect my grafted plants to be planted somewhere in may (depending on weather)

I have quite some tomato seeds. But i am thinking of going wild (pimp? matts cherry etc) or small fruited early cultivars.
What would you expect to be a good combination?
As a fun experiment i plan to do a little mixing and matching of everything.
But i would like to give the plant with the highest chance of making an okay amount of tomato’s and potato’s to my nephew.

Looking back, if got quite some questions. Thanks in advance if you find the time to awnser some :slight_smile:

The best way to answer your questions is to give it a try and see what happens. I don’t think you will get much in the way of results with pepper on anything other than pepper as a rootstock. Tomato and potato are much much closer genetically.

If I were doing a tomato/potato graft, I would get a vigorous tomato and graft it onto Kennebec potato. Kennebec is a relatively long season variety with high potential to produce spuds. I would probably pick a tomato with short season maturity such as Gregori’s Altai. This would more closely align the top with the rootstock in maturity.

Potatoes are not very cold tolerant, but they have the ability to grow back from the roots if the top gets frozen. Tomatoes generally don’t.

1 Like

Thanks for your awnser :slight_smile:

Yea i agree potato is not cold tolerant as in freezes. But i do think potato roots are les bothered by cold (but above freezing) soil temperatures than tomato’s or pepers. Those last ones seem to like higher soil temperatures than we have at the start of the season. Where the potato’s grow a good rootsystem even when the soil is cold.

i just found the document where i read about peper grafting here

Source seems reasonably reliable. But there doesn’t seem to be much follow up or data. Which leads me to believe it’s likely not that useful.

I used to have a plot at a community garden with serious root knot nematode issues. The only way I could grow solanaceous crops without being restricted to resistant varieties was to graft. I grafted tomatoes onto Maxifort, a rootstock variety, eggplants onto Solanum torvum, and peppers onto Carolina cayenne, which has great nematode resistance.