Too many fig cuttings?

You can stick the cutting wherever you find spots around in large containers used with other tree’s.

7 Likes

I’ve done this before :rofl: It’s a pain to remove the things. Good luck!

3 Likes

Stick them with sharp angle so roots stays close to the surface. Use a sharp knife, to keep most roots.It don’t hurt the tree.

4 Likes

You might take great care removing the cuttings from the grow medium. Nevertheless, I suspect that many of your cuttings do not survive due to damaging the roots during removal. You are not out of the woods when your cuttings have rooted. They still need to survive removal and the repotting process.

Vlad, these are hard roots not the brittle white ones, sorry.

You can easily plant cuttings in ground in spring. No need to do all the hard work like this.

1 Like

I’ve done that with some Japanese plums, Hollywood plum, some roses, forsythia, and willow. Our pussy willow hedge was entirely sticks stuck into the ground. Also figs of course. Sometimes I use sticks of those for marking garden rows and they grow. Not all of them and not most of the time, but it’s fun when they grow. Never got it to work with most other trees and shrubs. At the moment I have climbing rose sticks marking rows of onion sets. I don’t know what I’ll do with if they grow.

At least you know for future use, maybe!!

1 Like

I found some sticks with roots at the base of my Nadia Cherry Plum. I often stab some in the ground when I’m pruning, just to see what will happen. I pulled out one of the “sticks” yesterday and it was loaded with roots. For a bit, I thought they were Nadia trees, but I’m betting they are more likely oak seedlings from the mulch out there. I’ll have to look more closely when the weather is nicer, or wait for them to leaf out in the spring.

I now have 2 Hollywood plum trees, from the many sticks you gave me. One is poking out of the top of a 5’ grow tube. The other is about the size of a purchased rootstock.

I’ve propagated the quince from John, and have since grafted Pineapple quince to it. I’ve had less luck with figs than I’d expect. Also no luck with hardy kiwi.

Black currants are nearly fool proof, and I think I’m 2 for 2 with hazelnut.

I have a Yuzu stick that has stayed green for over a year and had tiny leaves last year. That’s the one I’d most like to have on its own roots.

1 Like

Glad those Hollywood grew. It’s my favorite plum.

Trying to remember what else. I have a Bud-9 stick in the garlic bed. It shows some promise. Buddleia probably but that stuff is too invasive. Ditto for honeysuckle. I started a Triple Crown blackberry that way.

It wouldn’t surprise me if you could grow apple or pear trees from dormant cuttings, but I want mine on dwarfing rootstocks so i dont try.

Back to figs, I think the cultivar matters. Maybe it also matters if they are free of FMV. Also, I used to make linear incisions about an inch long, in the lower couple of inches of the stick, with the wound going into the cambium. I think that stimulates a callous response that can cause rooting. Digging them up, sometimes there were rows of roots extending from the wounds. But as in the original post, several of my fig trees are from just poking the pruned sticks into the ground.

I think there are legends of Buddhist monks in Japan pushing ginkgo sticks into the ground and trees grew from those. I cant find a link for that so maybe it’s a false memory. I never got ginkgos to grow from dormant cuttings, even with hormone, a warmer, and cambium incisions.