Too much captan and not enough Triazacide?

Here’s two articles, the first is a general description of modes of action, the second is a detailed table of the mode of action codes, chemical group, and example trade chemical names.

http://www.pctonline.com/pct1011-insecticide-information.aspx

Apple,
Yes I expect the PC to find my trees eventually or maybe there has been a small amount of hits that I haven’t noticed. I’ve only had plums and pluots on the trees for three years and not many until this year.

@Richard

Thank you.

Mike

Richard, that was very educational, thank you very much!

I just finished spraying Triazicide on my orchard and I’m alittle confused about how it works. So the active ingredient is Gamma-Cyhalothrin, which is a Pyrethroid. from what I understand this kills insects by messing up there nervous systems.
My question for you guys is, Will this only kill the insects that are on the tree when I spray, or will it actually protect the tree from insects for a certain length of time?

It kills for at least a week but usually you can wait up to 2 weeks for subsequent spray. That may be the only insect control you need if coddling moth doesn’t keep coming or you don’t get apple fly maggot. Usually all I need in SE NY.

Is a bottle of triazicide really only good for 1 year? I have a big bottle and hardly made a dent in it last year. Do I need a new bottle?

Does it last two weeks because that’s how long it sticks to the tree? do the insects ingest it? or do they just need to land on it?

Sean,

Pyrethoids like Triazicide are called contact insecticides. What that means is that the insects just need to land on something w/ the insecticide residue. When they land, or walk around on the foliage the insecticide is absorbed through the insects cuticle.

All insecticides degrade over time, so when Alan mentioned it will kill for at least a week, that means after a week’s time the insecticide may have degraded to such a point there won’t be enough residue to provide a lethal dose to the insect.

2 Likes

It is good out of the factory for at least 2 years. The problem is that Triazicide has no expiration date so I suggest you find some insects to test it on or buy a new bottle.

1 Like

I sprayed some on a tent caterpillar yesterday and the caterpillar reacted wildly to it. It obviously didn’t like it. I’ll try it on some more creatures tonight. My biggest pest so far are leaf miners. I’ve been crushing them with my fingers but I’ll hit them with traiz and see how they react.

If you just sprayed two days ago, why have a ‘guy’ come over and spray again?

Two separate areas… I sprayed triazicide in a new area way out back which I planted some new 2 inch caliper trees where I was going to start spraying this year myself. My guy was hired too spray my older established orchard area. Just to clarify