Too Much of a Good Thing

Using Firefox here as well; are you pressing “ENTER” at all during your post?

If I type things and press ENTER
The type will continue on the next line until i press ENTER again
Like that

I do press ENTER, but you can’t see what you’re typing, because the Reply button covers
what you’re typing, and you can’t scroll up.

click the “Show preview” button on the right when you type a reply. (lower right corner)

I’m seeing something better than sunshine - the smiling faces of my daughters who have finally made it home. :sunny: :smiley:

7 Likes

Moley, that doesn’t work either, I’ve tried it.

Mark, stay safe. The rain has cleared, but the rivers have a heavy burden to carry through your way.

@Kate I’m glad you guys didn’t get any more than you did up that way. The damage throughout the state could have been much worse if the rivers had higher impact from up there to bring through on top of this.

Patty, no. One of my thoughts during this was that I was thankful that it wasn’t falling on SoCal! Our cities are small in comparison, with an abundance of natural waterways to collect the runoff, and we are heavily forested, with lots of vegetation throughout the area that helps hold soil and absorb water. We also have a coastal plain that’s very different from the cliffs and hills along the Pacific coast. I wouldn’t even want to imagine the losses that would accrue there with even half of this at one time with flash floods in the deserts and trapping people in canyons, landslides along the coast and in the mountains, and cities with inadequate (as everywhere) sewer systems to handle the bounty. I’m afraid that even half of this would have been far more deadly and destructive there. It’s bad here, but silly as it might sound, one of thoughts of thanks was that it was happening here where people could escape if they kept their heads, and not in SoCal.where many would be trapped by much less total rainfall.

But, yes, it would have been wonderful to have had this distributed over a much wider area, preferably western areas needing the moisture.

When I lived in Topanga CA we had, on a few occasions, deluges of around 13 inches of rain overnight- but it is a rain magnet and LA would get about half that. CA is a younger geography and if as much rain came as some parts of SC had it would be a horrific disaster. The hills are unstable and not as worn down as in the east. And right now a lot of those hills have lost much of the plant anchorage due to fire.

We got 17" total and we had some flooding but I was surprised at how quickly the levels went down. We were very dry before the rain and that helped but we also have sandy soil that will soak up a lot of water. We were never in any danger here. We are in flat land so its hard to get any really deep water, in order for the swamp by our house to rise 5’ it would probably have to spread a mile to each side. We end up with shallow slow moving water everywhere.

I’m glad and relieved to hear that. You’re actually the one I was most concerned about.

The clay ground here was already saturated because it had rained most days for a week and a half before. I’d heard that Holly Hill had gotten a tremendous amount of rain, and I’m relieved that the rivers rushing to the ocean is something your area is expected to be able to handle.

Glad everyone made it through ok. I thought it was bad here but yall got it way worse down in Columbia. My uncle is a carmera man for wltx down there. Says he hasn’t left the station in a looonnnngg time because of all the news!

Things dried out incredibly fast here. No trees look to be harmed. I’ll probably have to wait a bit longer to really tell though.

1 Like

That pic is the view today of the dam at the end of my road, about a mile as the crow flies. It looks like they are now down to one gate of spillway open, instead of at least three that they were releasing through. The photo is an AP photo taken by Ted Burton.

This is the largest dam in the area. It was NEVER in danger and not something I was ever concerned about losing. The release kept the properties surrounding this, the Lake Murray dam, from being flooded by overfill. The increased water flow does, however, affect areas downstream along the Saluda River headed toward Columbia and beyond. Ray, am I right that you are near that route?

My daughter keeps her bass boat dry docked at a launch ramp on the other side of that peninsula next to the dam, shown in the lower left of the pic.

I thought it was a lovely shot on this clear and sunny day.

Stay safe, Muddy and everyone…

Tom

Dianna
You’re right, I’m right by the Saluda River, that’s why they wanted us to
evacuate. That picture is a little deceiving, because that’s only a small
portion of the dam. It’s the longest earthen dam in America, and was rebuilt
several years ago. It’s quite a drive across the dam, and many people actually
run it, but I’d rather drive. I’ve fished in the middle of all that water many times,
but that’s when it is mainly boulders.

You’re right. That’s just one tiny part. It doesn’t show the whole curvy double dam, which is a good mile long. We drove across it about half an hour ago. There were a lot of walkers on the walkway, but not a boat in sight. It’s rare to see no boats at all.