Tool shed ideas

I wanted to ask for some ideas about a small abbreviated tool shed or box kept near the fruit trees. I feel like I spend a lot of time walking back and forth across my yard from the small storage building to the fruit trees. I know I use the same tools most of the time. It would be nice to have them nearby and not have to return them each time. I have an old shipping crate about 5’ long, 2’feet deep and 2’ high that I used when I first moved my baby chicks outside. I have a 4-legged stand that brings it up to about waist height. It has two doors that close. I was thinking about bringing out a few tools and putting them inside.

Has anyone come up with a small storage space situated near their garden/orchard that works well for them?

4 Likes

My orchard is a good distance from my house as well and I try to take what I need in my truck and use the tailgate as a table as well. There are those times I like to just walk to it and some kind of shed would sure be helpful! I am going to watch this thread and see what other say about this as well. I have thought about even building something up there some day but time nor money would allow that right now. Someday though… :+1:

1 Like

I’ve never seen this done anywhere else but what I do for a quick, easy shed is:
-Commandeer an appropriate number of t-posts, treated 2x4’s (or any similar sized pole), corrugated metal roofing, stainless steel hose clamps (just big enough to tighten around the 2x4’s and t-posts), roofing lumber (1x4 or 1x3 furring strips/deck boards, or just rafters, or a truss, or however you prefer to build roofs) and all your fasteners and accoutrements (screws, nails, drivers, hammer, etc).
-Drive your t-posts into the ground where you want your 2x4/pole posts to be, but drive the t-posts at a 1/4 turn so that you can stand up your 2x4’s/poles flat against them, and fasten the t-posts and 2x4’s together with at least 2 stainless hose clamps per post, on a foot from the ground, another a foot from the top of the t-post. What you now have is an anchored post which consists of a 2x4/pole, a t-post, and 2 hose clamps.
-Fasten on the 2x4 “beam” or “stringer” along the top of all your posts (this will fasten together the walls at the top and essentially be the joist for the roof; your furring strips/deck boards/2x3’s will go on top of this and run perpendicular to it).
-Fasten on the furring strips/roof lumber
-Fasten on the metal roofing

This might sound difficult but for me it’s way easier than digging holes for big posts, mixing concrete, and standing up 6x6 posts. You can even build a floor joist onto it easily at any height you want using the 2x4 posts, but I always leave an earthen floor. I’ve build goat sheds, chicken coops, firewood sheds, hay sheds, and tool sheds this way. Being a farmer I seem to always have t-posts, metal roofing, and 2x4’s or small cedar poles laying around, the only thing I usually go to the store for is the stainless hose clamps, but buying them online can save you some money.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the information. It does sound a bit intimidating, but my husband says I think too small. I should think out of the box. I will sketch out a few ideas and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!