Top 3 Sweetest Fresh Eating Crabs?

@Robert

Yes they are very good fresh. As the weather gets colder in October and November they will ripen up! Wickson does not do as well for me here but it does ok.

2 Likes

I may give that a try. The ones I have now ripen really early. That sounds like it’s one of the last apples on the tree end of season. I don’t think Wickson would do well here according to others near me.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention I have a bunch of Chestnut scionwood if you want any.

1 Like

Me, too. Looks like I’m going to have a good first crop this season, though.

2 Likes

Let us know on the Pipsqueak. Seems to be a lot of interest in it.

1 Like

@Robert

Harrison is very delicious in my opinion though not overly productive in my very limited experience. Tried this one @39thparallel orchard. I’m ok with quality over quantity as long as i know what to expect. Makes a nice cider apple. 2022 cider at 39thparallel orchard

6 Likes

I’m actually leaning toward your crab. Seems almost all the others ripen early and I already have early. I looked at 39th parallel, but they are sold out of scion. Guess I’ll have to wait to next year.

2 Likes

@Robert

There are lots of the crabapple out there people are growing. They are very popular here in Kansas. Have no idea how they will do everywhere else. They fruit very fast which is always nice.

2 Likes

Your crab looks like mini Golden Delicious. What is the acid/sugar balance on those? More sweet or tart? I have a nice 6 foot M111 waiting on it.

3 Likes

@Robert

It is both sweet and tart balanced. The more cold nights it gets as it ripens the better it is. The best part is they are long keepers. That harrison in the picture above is a good crabapple as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, the keeling part is very appealing. Looks and sounds like one to grow. I’m glad to know Harrison is good out of hand. It’s from my hometown actually, or very nearby. I had no idea until a few years ago an itenerant orchard grafter/pruner friend of mine was telling me how he was topworking all of these trees over to this hot new variety (new like George Washington that is) called Harrison. I looked it up and was flabbergasted that there had been a whole cider industry in and around the Oranges- Newark, NJ area. I grafted a whole mess of them after that. I love making cider. It didn’t occur to me that it’d be good eating too.

3 Likes

And so it is. I got my first samples of Pipsqueak this year, and while they’re not much to look at - a little rough-skinned, almost russeted - they’re quite sweet and crunchy. The flavor isn’t quite as strong as Frostbite’s, but clearly akin to it. Mine are small, about Wickson-sized, but I didn’t thin them.

I munched a few during my morning orchard stroll today, and I think I may go back for a few more in a minute.

2 Likes

I’ve got just a few Pipsqueaks to try this year. Fedco says they ripen around October 1 at their location, so I’m thinking I should wait at least another couple weeks before trying one.

1 Like

Many apples are fruiting early here (Northern California) this season, so you’re probably wise to do so.

2 Likes

I was out picking the rest of my Zestar today and couldn’t resist picking and eating a Pipsqueak. I’m glad I did. They appear to be ripe, or very close to it. This is going to be my household’s favorite crab for fresh eating. Better than Chesntut is the consensus here. Fedco’s description of the skin being almost like a kiwi fruit is quite accurate.
pipsqueak
pipsqueak1

5 Likes

I was thinking of Dungeness, but wrong kind, haha.

1 Like

:smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

I would agree with that. Better than Trailman, too. I probably still prefer Wickson, but the latter is pretty unusual and not to everyone’s taste.

1 Like

I’ve not tasted Wickson yet, my tree is growing well though. Maybe next year

Big fan of Pipsqueak. My six-year-old ate one right down to the core.

8 Likes