Top working a cherry tree

In 2018 I planted a Rainier cherry that subsequently died in the summer of 2019 for unknown reasons. The tree was cut at the base and 4 years later, this is what I have to work, resulting from the rootstock pushing up new growth.

I have three other cherries, Van, Hedelfingen and Richter and I’d like to top work these trees with the latter two varieties (van seems to be a canker magnet).

Looking for some advice on what grafting method would best suited and what other varieties I should consider.

Location is northeast, zone 5b teetering on 6a Prince Edward Island.

1 Like

I would do bark or cleft grafts maybe three feet off the ground. Plan on the two largest limbs to be one for each variety, and put backups on the other smaller limbs in case something goes wrong.

4 Likes

Thank you, Scott. At what time would you suggest to attempt a bark graft? I’m thinking the scaffolds might be on the thick side (greater than an inch at 3’ high) to attempt a cleft graft…but maybe that’s okay with 1/4" scions as long as there’s good cambium contact?

I’m definitely more comfortable with a cleft graft.

1 Like

If you use an axe there is no limit to how big a trunk you can cleft graft. Just pound it in with a hammer. I find that a big pain so generally do bark grafts on bigger trunks which require no heavy pounding. Your tree looks small enough that I think I could just use my grafting knife to cleft graft on those branches.

1” leaves is a reasonable time to graft cherries.

3 Likes

On thicker trunks you might find Ken Coates videos applicable. I viewed these before topworking my neighbors trees. Most instructive is his grafting techniques and his method of selecting good quality scionwood. It may be to late if your buds are already leafing out to use his methods as he is working here just before bud swell in the Cascades
Dennis
Kent, Wa
After 40 years in the business, for the 2018 season, Ken is using YouTube to share his personal and professional life as he practices his craft and works with his crew in the cherry and apple orchards. He explains in detail every aspect of the business, including how to select the best scion wood for the job, specialized tools and grafting techniques that he uses. He will even teach you how to properly sharpen a chain saw, and how to avoid cutting your leg off.

Adara as interstem: Ken Coates: Goodbye plum, hello cherry - Good Fruit Grower.

His YouTube channel can be found at this link:

ALL ABOUT GRAFTING 181

How to graft a cherry tree 6 Year followup: shows wedge graft on larger diameter cuts. On wedge cut, exclude the bark to come into the wood making a perfect square. Then use knife to chip it out! The cambium needs to cross about an inch below the top. Scion shows no exposed cut at the top as it’s driven in tight. Base bud is facing out!

Scionwood: size of small to ring finger, where it starts to go from brown to green and bends easily gets rubbery, and the buds get real close that’s late stage growth, don’t use! Store 34-36F in damp sawdust. No green tips fully dormant. Rule of thumb: 1 scion per inch of cut diameter!

Cherry grafting videos: Who are you going to call if you need 10 thousand grafts completed?

3 Likes