Has anyone tried this with any success? I have a medlar that produces fruit this year and I wasn’t impressed. It’s pretty bland. So I was thinking of grafting it over to an apple, but I’m not sure if it will take.
Maybe consider changing the title. What you are describing is grafting apple onto medlar and not the other way around like the title says
Or include the word “over” graft medlar OVER to apple
As a reminder, the first years something provides fruit are not always repesentative of what it will be.
Do you recall which medlar cultivar you have? Just like many other fruits, flavor and texture varies between varieties.
I think this one is Breda giant
That’s not surprising you didn’t care for it then. I find the giant ones impressive for size, but inferior in eating quality. I would encourage you to try top working with some more average size medlar cultivars to try before writing off the whole species.
I went back and looked at my records, it’s a Royal medlar, but regardless, anyone tried this? I have two other medlar trees besides this one, so I’m not concerned about preserving the tree for its fruit as I have others that will hopefully be better. If not, I would like to graft them over too.
I’m not sure about apples, but if there are any other edible hawthorns you’re interested in, they should be likely to graft successfully. Possibly quince as well. Given that medlar is essentially a giant hawthorn itself, it might actually take pear grafts too.
I would expect it to, it thurns out the root stock on at least one of my Medlar trees, is pear.
Apple seems like a stretch compatibility-wise, the family relationship just isn’t close enough the way it would be with pear or quince. Worth doing a small test graft before committing the whole tree to it though, at least then you’d know.