Traces of Citrus Greening bacteria found in Ventura county CA

Well why isn’t everyone compelled to be tested, Richard?

1 Like

@Barkslip
I’m not sure. It’s definitely a pilot program. It’s possible that they had more volunteers than they had resources to test.

1 Like

I’ve seen the insect on my citrus trees. I’ve reported to the appropriate agricultural department. They’ve responded that they’re aware the insect is in the county, but nothing else needs to be done because the bacteria has not been detected yet. My trees are thriving without issues.

1 Like

@Martin
The ACP insect is ubiquitous in southern CA.
Incubation for HLB is 2-5 years.
Early detection of bacteria presence is key to controlling the disease.
Of the trees that tested positive in Ventura county by this new assay method, none showed any outward signs of infection.

… by the outdated USDA method.

The APHIS pathologists tell me that they believe a majority of southern California homeowner citrus is asymptomatic.

1 Like

If the disease is as ubiquitous as you suggest, I’m not sure how they’d control it at this point.

1 Like

@Martin
All diseased trees found and removed in southern CA prior to this measurement in Ventura county have been found in homeowner properties. In all cases, the tree(s) in question were traced to online sellers lacking any nursery certification – serving the desires of a public looking for cheap plants. These members of the public have also been cheap in regards to maintaining their plants, which is why we have ACP in California today.

1 Like

:smiling_face: I killed everything on my nursery stock before I shipped any of them. And shot them again in the middle of shipping. It’s illegal for me to ship to the West Coast, however;

I did my job correct.

1 Like

You just have to open FB Marketplace or Craigslist and you’ll find a ton of listings for citrus trees (here in Nor. Cal) from unlicensed sellers. Even though CA has done a decent job with quarantine, the rules are not explained to public very well. CCPP raising their rates by 233% doesn’t help either.

The scary citrus sellers are in FL and TX offering plants on eBay.

1 Like