Trademarked apples

Who Wants to sign up for my Hon E Crisp Club?

1 Like

Just kidding.
Honeycrisp trees have some issues. It seems to be low vigor. I will not continue to propagate anything that needs a second year in the nursery. HC is just the best example of trademarked varieties. I will be propagating the heck out of some of the ā€œclub applesā€ when the patent fades in a few years.

My understanding is the patent is indeed expired on honeycrisp and its legal to graft. The apple to your point 39thparallel can be a bit of a pain to grow but still worth it http://www.goodfruit.com/honeycrisp-dont-kill-the-golden-goose/. TM is a different discussion and that gets so tricky most of us donā€™t want to go there http://www.mprnews.org/story/2007/10/11/honeycrisp

I have a very well behaved and easy to maintain Honeycrisp tree at my previous home. Yes, it is relatively low vigor, but why not just use a more vigor inducing rootstock.

I have one on M26 and one on M27. The M27 is a runt, and so small it is a novelty. the M26 is productive and manageable and about what I was hoping for from the M27. Its about 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide and produces 100+ apples within easy reach.

1 Like

Murky,
I have 4 honeycrisp total and they are highly productive though it was seven years for dwarfs getting good care in my soil before they produced the big crops. I canā€™t say enough good about them but donā€™t want to misrepresent them as a care free tree you get apples from by the second year. Seems like I started to get apples in the 4 th or 5 th .

I read about this a lot and Iā€™m sure itā€™s true, but mine produced in itā€™s first year in the ground and every year since.
( M106)

It may be that lowerish vigor is an issue for a tree propagator, but it can, of course, be great for the grower. The issue I have always read about concerning growers is bitter pit, and judging by the zillions of bitter pit free HC in stores, itā€™s obviously an issue reasonably easy to control.
As Murky suggested, why not just park it on top of a more vigorous root?