Trader mulberry

Thank you for braving the weather! The second photo is very good. @Stan - what’s your opinion about the species of this mulberry cultivar?

1 Like

Here are two I received from Logee’s. They do not appear grafted.

Throwing it out there, Trader is one of two trees available from Hartmanns in our group order.

1 Like

Good to know. Perfect Circle Farm is now out of stock until next year.

I’ve heard from others growing it that it is a pretty typical morus alba tatarica. Small sweet somewhat bland fruit on a cold hardy tree

3 Likes

Taxon: Morus alba L. f. tatarica Ser.
= Morus alba ‘Tatarica’

The plant on the photos by @smsmith is a typical Morus alba, in my opinion. I don’t see any trace of M. nigra in it. Any claims of it being a M. nigra or M. nigra x M. alba are baseless. (BTW, I don’t think a hybrid of M. nigra x M. alba is even possible due to the difference in the number of chromosomes).

4 Likes

These arrived from Hartmann’s today. They are as advertised, 2" plugs with 4" - 6" stock above the soil line. Two of them have fine roots coming out the bottom central hole.

4 Likes

@Richard Please keep us updated on these. I hope they turn out to be great.

1 Like

@Marco
I’m expecting one more shipment from a 3rd supplier. Once they hit their growing stride next year I’ll add them to my repository of mulberry specimens. I hope to contract out for basic cytology analysis in the summer and obtain ploidy data.

4 Likes

When Mulberries Last In Door Window Sprouted

1 Like

End of dormancy. Now I get to transplant them :piñata:

4 Likes

Immature fruit on long stem. This plant is from Hartmann’s.

2 Likes