Trader mulberry

got a Trader mulberry coming in the spring. heard its one of the hardiest mulberries but haven’t found a lot of info. online. anyone grow it or have info. on it? planting it near my new Northrop mulberry. hopefully they will help each other with pollination.

3 Likes

I’ve got two. Both were planted in September of '15. I’ve had a few fruits on them the last two years. Both experienced some tip dieback the last two winters, but they both grew well this summer. They seem to be hardy enough to at least survive here. I can’t say whether they’ll ever thrive as of yet.

2 Likes

My two have made it through two winters in good shape. Healthy. They are mostly well buried now thanks to yesterday’s 24" snowfall so I expect them to get through this winter as well. Sue

2 Likes

thats good to know. my Northrop put out a few berries already and i planted it last spring but its a 5ft. tree already. where did you folks buy yours?

As far as I know the only place to get Traders is from Jim Walla in Fargo, ND. I drove over there and picked two up back in '15

1 Like

thats where mines coming from. was just curious if they were sold anywhere else. i was supposed to get it last spring but a strange disease damaged all of his stock. he said they will be ready in 2020.

1 Like

Where did you get your Northrup mulberry?

Cricket hill nursery out of CT. I’ve bought several trees from them and they are good sized for the money.

1 Like

Cool keep us updated. Always interested in Mulberries.

1 Like

Wondering how this mulberry has fared for anyone. Edible Landscaping in Virginia has it. I don’t know how it does in warmer, odder, Maryland weather.

Can anyone comment on the taste of Trader Mulberry? Does it really taste like a Morus Nigra (i.e. Persian, Italian Nero, etc.)?

There are currently a dozen online seller/shippers offering a “Trader Mulberry”.

Most sellers list it as M. nigra but one uses M. nigra x M. alba.

All of them use the exact same description and offer a 4" pot – this normally indicates it was sourced as tissue culture plantlets from AgriStarts.

None of the photos are of the plants, but most use the same standard (stock) photo of M. nigra fruit, and two use photos of M. alba fruit.

Prices range from $8 to $40 each.

3 Likes

Thank you for the detective work @Richard! It’s a process to filter out the real information out there!

1 Like

@Marco
I ordered plants from 3 of the sellers and will provide updates from time to time.

3 Likes

Neither of the Traders I bought directly from Jim Walla in 2015 have fruit anywhere near 1.5" long…FWIW

The fruit my trees have produced have been closer to 1/2" at best. Many smaller. The trees also do not have any “everbearing” tendency here. The berries ripen in July and are gone shortly thereafter.

Maybe the trees will improve as they age. I certainly hope so. They are also borderline winter hardy here on the edge of 4a/3b. Both suffer tip dieback most winters.

3 Likes

@smsmith
I suspect the tree is dormant by now in your location. Could you post a picture or two of some younger dormant branches show the nodes along the branch?

yes, trees are dormant here now. I’ll try to remember to snap some pics.

1 Like

Do you think you will end up with three clones of the parent, or do you think you will end up with three unique plants?

What will you end up doing with them? Left to it’s own, the online description makes it sound like Trader will get quite large.

… lol!

I will transplant them into Stuewe 5.9 gal TP1020R pots and place them with the others in my mulberry repository.

1 Like

The wind was blowing like crazy and I’m not 100% sure exactly what you were looking for. These are the clearest of what I took

1 Like