Traditional crops for food security (human consumption focus)

Never heard of them, but I just looked them up and they look really promising.

2 Likes

Sorghum grain is not toxic from what I remember,
But don’t make sprouts from it.
The main danger is from livestock grazing young plants ,and / or plants that have been frosted . The leafs can have lethal levels of cyanide in them under certain conditions . The grain is safe.

6 Likes

When looking at traditional crops for food security in America, it’s hard to beat corn, beans, and winter squash, but you also probably need some root crops of some sort. Potatoes struggle in my location, but we’ve had great luck with sweet potatoes. We like beets and turnips as well, but we usually have a small amount of those. Nuts are also survival food powerhouses. We also have good luck dehydrating tomatoes and storing them for months and months.

When the colony of Jamestown was founded in the early 1600’s, life revolved around corn. People really poopoo corn nowadays because of industrial farming. In centuries past it was literally a lifesaver for many people. I keep a supply of Bloody Butcher seed corn just in case I need to plant a big patch. BB grows easily, makes good parched corn, corn meal, and grits, and has a higher protein content than most other dent corn.

4 Likes

Yes! I am excited to see your response. I have sorghum seeds to plant out. It’s more nutritious than quinoa & its easy to grow. I like it cooked for breakfast w/ fruit on top.

I would like to grind it to try it as a wheat flour substitute. :ear_of_rice:

3 Likes

We are in a bizarro world with taters. Sweets and Yams grow here. Oddly red taters will grow here but very few white ones.

3 Likes

I think apples are amazing from a food security focus. Winter keeping apples, fresh eating, baking ,drying, cider, boiled cider for a syrup substitute, and winter/summer prunings than can be fed to goats and rabbits.

3 Likes

painted mountain corn is another one good for this and its super cold hardy and needs alot less nutrients than most corn as it has shorter stalks. we got a late frost on june 17 3 years ago and my painted mountains were only a inch high and all survived.

2 Likes

and chics. :wink:

2 Likes