Traditional crops for food security (human consumption focus)

@disc4tw started a thread called Non-traditional crops for food security (human consumption focus)

I think it’s a great idea to have non-traditional crops growing for the purpose of food security, but I also think it’s more practical to try to grow traditional crops that are easy to store.

One of my favorite traditional crops to grow that is easy to store is winter squash. There is no immediate processing, you just have to hold it at the right temperature and it can stay edible for months.

What are your favorite traditional crops to grow for food security and how do you cook/store them>

7 Likes

sweet potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, kumquats, strawberries, blueberries, pears and apples if they produce

2 Likes

Typically we used to grow copious amounts of Triple Crop tomatoes and canned them. Lately we go to the you pick instead.I do miss my Triple Crop tunnels though. Grows great but are kind of mild and boring.

4 Likes

i plant 100 lbs of little red taters and a big patch of green beans to go with them…then we plant lots of maters, peppers, squash, butterbeans and corn…

9 Likes

I don’t have enough room on my roof top for all that.

7 Likes

potatoes, corn dried for cornbread, winter squash, sweet potatoes, cucs and beets pickled, rutabagas, carrots, blanched frozen pole beans. dry beans, dehydrated kale. dried fruit of all kinds keep well in glass jars.

6 Likes

Do you use a dehydrator or solar dry?

3 Likes

Winter squash and apples, because they are so easy.

4 Likes

Sorghum, i doesnt need much love, penetrates your soil deep and attracts them buggers. So if planted far away from the goodies its a way of keeping them bugger free. Sudangras doesnt nearly need as much water as corn, is packed with protein and is glutenfree). I like to semi cooked the grains and freeze them. Then when i want i make patties with some seasoning rub on them. And then load those patties with all your goodies🙃

6 Likes

dehydrator but used to do it in the oven before.

1 Like

i got some dwarf sorghum seed that ripens in 75 days off of Esty. havent tried them yet.

1 Like

Cabbage needs to be on this list. Especially fermented and made into sauerkraut. It can store for months at the correct temp.

5 Likes

I agree. I fermented some shredded turnips a few years ago. They were very good.

4 Likes

I grow a lot of sweet potatoes. They store all winter in an unfinished basement that stays around 60 degrees. I have much better luck storing sweet potatoes than regular potatoes. Wish I had a root cellar.

On the brassica side of things I have much better luck with kohlrabi than cabbage. Kohlrabi doesn’t get bothered by pests in our area but cabbage gets decimated. Kohlrabi stores for months in the fridge in gallon freezer bags that aren’t sealed.

4 Likes

I think this a great point. For some reason fruit often gets overlooked in survival food lists, but that’s a lot of calories from one plant.

2 Likes

I like the stands of Sudangras when you see them. But most of the farms will not grow it anymore because it can go toxic for horses and cows if not harvested on time. It is a great silage crop; but few do that anymore.

I like sewing some triticale when I have space. It is good in un-leavened bread and crackers to me.

3 Likes

Woow interesting i didnt know that! Can it be toxic to humans aswell? Ive got 15kg of grinded sorghum flour from a friends dad who has farmed an acre. Im eating one bread a week of this stuff(for now im still alive). So should i eat it or is it a risk?

2 Likes

As I understand it it’s only if the crop freezes in the field but yes it’s absolutely toxic to humans as well

4 Likes

turnip/ rutabaga kimchee is very good. if rinsed before eating its not as hot and salty.

3 Likes

Not a lot of calories, but has anyone tried Longkeeper tomatoes? I’m debating on growing them this year.

1 Like