Tree Identification

A friend of mine is wondering exactly what type of tree this is (general type). I figured the collective wisdom of the forum would be better than my non-expert advice.

1 Like

wild plum?

2 Likes

In stead of starting new tree Indentification thread which already has several short ones in this forum, I just pick this thread and post my question here. Hope Paul will not mind.
I have this little trees pop up everywhere in my yard. Some established ones, I cut them down to the ground level every year and they grow more shoots later. I have looked around the neighborhood and didn’t see such mature tree flowering/bearing seeds etc. It’s a very resilient tree/bush and I am wondering what it is and how it spreads.

1 Like

When you say little trees, vigorously growing back, etc… etc… and given you are like one shopping trip from me, I want to say buckthorn.

Pictures of tree, bark and flatten leaves if you can manage. Initially I want to say linden but leaves don’t look like a match.

Thanks, I think you nailed it. I looked up the buckthorn on internet and the leafs do match the Buckthorn’s leafs in my picture.
Here is the pictures of stem and flat leafs

1 Like

Buckthorn is officially designated as invasive in illinois. Kill it - burn it, spray it, chop it. Whatever works.

The reason they keep popping up is that the seeds have an unusually high germination rate for a tree-borne seed. I find buckthorn harder to deal with then garlic mustard when established. The roots can be like wild grape vines, winding under log piles, and often deeper than one would think. I much rather have chokecherries than buckthorn.

1 Like

I have another tree that I would appreciate you guys to identify for me. It has extra little leafs. I thought it is a kind of fruit tree, but I could be wrong.

@IL847
Looks to be an apple
The " extra little leafs " being stipules

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t have any apple trees. I will let it grow and maybe use it as a root stock.

1 Like