Tree is dying

I went through some other posts and it seems like my tree has bacterial canker.

The branches are dying. I applied some stuff that is supposed to kill aphids and other critters, but dont know if that will help.

Leaves are green and healthy but not as many as it should have.

It only had about 5 blooms and only 1 survived.

Can it still be saved or is it too late?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I believe you will need a fungicide for canker. Canker is airborne and not an insect.

Can you posted a pic of the whole tree? What kind of fruit tree is this?

@mrsg47 is right that what happened is a disease not insect issue. You are in zone 9 but where? Does a Southwest injury is a concern in your area?

If you can provide more info about the tree, how this issue has developed, people could give you advice more accurately.

It is a nectarine tree, I have had it for about 8 yrs now.

Sorry about the picture, I could only post 1 and this is the one that posted.

I think it started with my puppy bitting it a few years ago (when tree was still a baby). I was told the tree was going to heal on its own but when I noticed issues, I went to home depot and the person did not really know what I was talking about.

This is the only picture I have of the whole tree at this time.

Located in Northern California, Central Valley.

Thank you.

I would weed around it, first of all, then mulch, then prune off the dead wood. It’s a start. Then I would spray with Indar and a sticker, or Monterey Fungi Fighter if its still sold. Also, it still has green leaves so its not dead. The weeds and grass are fighting the tree for strength.

1 Like

We have removed the weeds already (this picture was from a few weeks ago).

Can I use pebbles/rocks instead of mulch? It is windy and that thing flies away.

I could only find Monterey Fungi online for about $100 and not sure where to find Ingar. Is there an alternative to either one of those? I cannot really afford $100 at the time, but I really want to help my tree.

Yady,
When a tree suffers an injury, (in your case,your dog ripping its bark), it has made the tree vulnerable and susceptible for diseases.

A healthy tree will heal itself. However, if your nectarine tree has grown in thar condition all along (competing with grass all growing season), it would not stay healthy). Peaches and nectarines do not like competing with grass.

If some branches have already dying, I won’t bother saving it. If you don’t want to cut it down, you really need to remove the grass to at least 5 ft in diameter and feed it with urea, high nitrogen fertilizer, to give your tree a fighting chanc. Then, identify a new growing spot, sunny, free of graas I would clean off grass and plant a new tree. Peaches/nectarines grow very fast, some will give you fruit in year two.

As for canker, nothing can really cure it now. No need to buy Indar or Monterey Fungi Fighter. I personally use copper (works as fungicide, bacteriacide) as a preventative measure during during a dorment season.

Anyway, someone with more knowledge like @stan (in CA) or @olpea ( the peach master) would be better at giving you advice.

2 Likes

Looks like bacterial canker to me, and it’s in an advanced stage. The chances the tree survives are slim, but it can still live for a couple more years until the canker finishes it up. If you plant a new tree now, it will likely fruit in 2021, peaches and nectarines grow fast.

1 Like

I would echo what Mrs.G and Mamuang wrote. Make sure you keep a wide area around the tree weed free. Add some fertilizer, and give the tree a drink when it’s thirsty. Peaches don’t need much water, but I think the Central Valley can be pretty dry.

The tree has a vigor problem. A vigorous peach tree can fight off some diseases like canker. However, as Stan mentioned, it may be a bit late for this tree. My recommendation is also to plant another one.

1 Like

Most of the replies are coming from people not in your region, which makes such diagnosis more hit and miss. Before I knew it was a nect I thought maybe BC as well, but I’ve never had peaches or nects get it- just J. plums. However, this may be coincidental. You should cut out some damaged bark and submit it to U.C. Davis if you are genuinely curious.

From pictures, I can’t even exclude borers, which come in several forms- they were a problem for some trees I managed many decades ago in CA.

What usually kills trees is the environment, a vigorously growing tree is often much harder to kill. Sometimes identifying the pathogen is besides the point. Peaches and nects frequently runt out in my part of the country, often from relatively short periods of drought- or from poor drainage.

The way to go IMO, is just to get a new tree and try to give it everything it wants. The odds of bringing that one back to adequate vigor are slim.

Thank you very much to everyone for all the knowledge you have shared.

The weeds we pull out completely on a yearly basis but they tend to grow over the Winter again and we remove again at the beginning of the yr (as soon as weather allows).

I am heartbroken to lose my tree but better do it now.

Again, thank you and I will take the advice to ensure all my trees thrive in the future.

The latest pic of that tree actually looks better. Is it on some weird rootstock like Citation? Trees on Citation are slower growing. Again, some fertilizer and appropriate watering may help.

@Olpea, I am afraid I do not understand what that means (even after I googled it).

Citation is the name of rootstocks. When you google, you need to put in Peach Rootstocks, citation.
Here’s one of the website giving you info about how tall a tree can be on each rootstock. Most of the time, each rootstock has it’s positives and negatives. Fruit trees on citation rootstock tends to be small. In some case, it could runt out.

https://www.davewilson.com/product-information-general/rootstock/peach-plum-hybrid