Tree mounds-how tall?

That would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately, there are 2 water pipes located close to the fence. The water pipes run probably over 300 feet closely adjacent to the fenceline, so that really wasn’t an option when I began planting. Now I have many trees planted in this area, so it’s a bit late to get heavy equipment in their now.

I would love to kill these trees, but I am adjacent to the lake used as the local water supply. I use no pesticides or harsh herbicides on my property for this reason.

1 Like

Trench diggers aren’t heavy equipment, but I don’t know how deep they can go.

1 Like

I just loath the idea of miscalculation and penetrating the water pipes that provide water for the entire property.

1 Like

Yes, in this area there is a good downslope, so drainage is not the main issue.

I have been mounding much higher and closer to 3 feet at times, because I now realize how much settling occurs.

2 Likes

The easiest idea is just to hit the suckers with glyphosate which will at least kill the roots near the suckers. It’s just a matter of when is the best timing, sometimes it’s spring and sometimes late summer- whenever leaves are sending energy to the roots. I would be interested in how that would affect the main trees the roots are extending from. I doubt it would kill them but it might stagger them a bit. Perhaps it would change the direction of their root growth and it would end up mostly in your neighbors yard.

You could use a wick stick to avoid contact with your lawn.

2 Likes

I’m doubtful glyphosate is even sold to home gardeners in Canada. The use of pesticides and herbicides is severely restricted for home growers in Canada. Heck, we can’t even buy “surround” as it’s use is restricted to commercial growers only in Canada.

1 Like

That is hard to believe, they restrict the use of processed clay? Are you sure- that would be absolutely crazy, IMO. The only environmental impact is on the tree itself and it irritates insects without killing them. .

1 Like

I’m positive. I’ve tried to source it, and so have many other Canadians on this forum. There are at least several threads on here from those looking to buy surround in Canada.

American laws with regards to herbicides and pesticides are far more permissive than in Canada, (and I believe the EU as well).

1 Like

I just looked at the Canadian label for Surround and found nothing that restricts its use for home gardens. Can you show me a label that does?

Sevin is restricted for agricultural use only in Canada, but Surround is not- right at the beginning of the Sevin label it says “for agricultural use only”, but it was also taken off market for home use here. They sell something else as Sevin now. Surround’s label seems to contain no such decree.

Health Canada granted continued registration of products containing glyphosate for sale and use in Canada, with changes to product labels to provide Canadians with additional information on how to use these products safely.

That is from this- https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/consumer-product-safety/reports-publications/pesticides-pest-management/fact-sheets-other-resources/glyphosate.html

2 Likes

Looked around and the only ingredient list is

Kaolin …… 95.0%

Inert Ingredients …… 5.0%

Can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would want to control this… It’s frickin clay.

I did seed you need a license on California to purchase though.

2 Likes

I did a quick search on the regs, but didn’t come up with the links I’d found in the past. In BC where I live it is not technically illegal to sell to home growers. Unfortunately, there is no source in BC that will allow you to purchase surround without a licence. In other provinces from my past research it is restricted to commercial growers with a licence. So in my case it’s kind of a catch 22, while not technically restricted in my home province the few retailers that do sell it require you to have a licence. In other provinces, I believe it is commercial use only from my past research.

1 Like

I cannot find it in a list of restricted pesticides in the state of CA. where did you see that.

1 Like

Of course now I can’t find it. It stated something like some ID was required… Probably a commercial grower ID.

It’s not a pesticide, it’s listed as a protectant.

1 Like

The label is the law, so it would be on the CA label if it was restricted, I believe. It wouldn’t be that hard to find. I believe it’s legal for unlicensed spraying of your own orchards. Where you need a permit is if you are spraying someone else’s trees. State wants their money and my license costs $150 per year. How politicians love a tax that is called a fee. We ain’t raising taxes, just fees, vote for us.

3 Likes

Nope. In California a Private Applicators Certificate is required for pesticides prohibited from retail sale in the state.

1 Like

That was the wording I saw but couldn’t find again.

I still don’t understand how it can be considered a pesticide. There doesn’t appear to be any active ingredient in it.

I don’t live in CA so it’s a moot point for me…

1 Like

American laws in some states are far more permissive.

1 Like

Pull over sir, I see you have some play dough. Do you have a license for that.? Ha.

2 Likes

Indeed. People have been eating clay (basic pH) for thousands of years for stomach issues…

I can’t buy and replace my septic aeration pump without a contractors license. There’s not nothing special about that pump.

It’s all a money train.

1 Like

You’d think it must be about the money…because there’s more crap on the sidewalks of SF
than in most home septic systems…

is this not so?