Tree mounds-how tall?

It is due to improper installations causing environmental grief. When the grief is discovered later, the state regulatory agency has someone to go after.

The restrictions mentioned in this thread are in Canada, not California.

You read too fast. Some online pesticide sellers state at the top of their home page that a pesticide applicators license is required for restricted use pesticides.

This is due to lobbying by the Canadian company Agrium. They have their fingers in about every country, but do not like foreign competition in their homeland.

1 Like

As far as the septic aeration pumpā€¦ There is no issue. It introduces air (oxygen) to the tank to keep it aerobic.

Itā€™s not magic. You just get a pump with the same pump curve as the original.

I do get that someone installing the wrong pump (itā€™s a compressor really, pumping air) can lead to less efficient septic operation.

They never check the outflow which would be the real check of the system.

Quite a side bar really. Iā€™d say from the optimistic viewpoint Iā€™d hope laws are based on protecting the environment as such, but at least locally itā€™s often linked to supporting an industry and making money for people in the system.

Spoken from a man who walked his own uncontested divorce through the courts. Donā€™t get me started.

Iā€™ll be applying my first Surround this coming year as I feel confident (ish) two of my stone fruit trees will set fruit for the first time

2 Likes

How does that picture explain the status of Surround and the context of what Shibumi remembers reading?

Of course applicators are licensed in CA and all states I know of. Iā€™m a 3A licensed applicator myself.

My goal is to keep information straight on this forum, and I believe Shibumi was mistaken about the status of Surround there. I donā€™t care if Iā€™m mistaken on this but I searched for corroboration of what he wrote and even if he read it I doubt the info is correct that Surround is not legal there for backyard use.

However, if other CA members chime in saying they cannot purchase Surround in your state, I will thank you and Shibumi for the clarity this discussion provided.

The suggestions about restrictions in Canada also seemed not to pan out when I looked further. Even glyphosate seems to be available to homeowners.

I donā€™t even think it is restricted to use only for commercial growers there. I could not find that on the Canadian label. Not even glyphosate appears to be restricted from residential use. I am assuming that in Canada the label is the lawā€¦ perhaps that presumption is faulty.

Something to add. Was just speaking with my local state horticulturalist about building up soils at planting for better drainage.

I made the point that as a person living in a more populated area (I wouldnā€™t call it a city but itā€™s also not the country) there is no ready source for actual topsoil.

All soils sold retail at box stores, nurseries, and in town soil and gravel companies are heavy in organics. Point being organics break down over time and you lose volume just from that in addition to compaction.

So raising a 46 foot by 3 foot run of ground for some grape vines (in my case) is not as easy as it sounds.

Iā€™d be better off using sand mixed with some store soil as it would keep itā€™s volume better.

Just an FYI.

The spoil used to build up land before the slab is poured is trucked from out of state.

1 Like