Treepot stand

I think I may belong to too many forums…

Somewhere out there, I saw someone had a great idea for making a stand for deep tree pots for starting seedlings before transplant. I think it was here, but who knows.

So… anyone know of a quick, easy way of making a stand for the following pots, or something like them?

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/plant-pots/deepots-tree-pots?returnurl=%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dtree%2Bpot

Thanks!

1 Like

Possibly Dax (@Barkslip) - it’s his kind of thing.

2 Likes

Seems like I saw Dax using chain link fence. I guess square fence could sub for square pots.

3 Likes

Yes, he’s got a nice one going.

For smaller quantities, I’ve found milk crates or impromptu corrals work well.

4 Likes

Yikes… Dax’s setup seems really awesome, but way more than I’m willing to commit too. It also makes me kinda glad to be so far north. If I had the potential of a more temperate food Forrest, I’d quickly get in over my head!

Actually, I might already be there. 300 apple trees with another 20 of pear, peach and plum, 24 elderberry, 30 currants, 250 feet of aronia, 60 rhubarb crowns, … yeah, I have a problem.

I like the idea of milk crates. Seems quick and easy. Quick and easy is good.

Thanks, all!

Brian

3 Likes

I agree, simpler is good. 9 of the 10" tree pots fit perfectly in a standard square milk crate. I’d probably do something like @Barkslip if I were to go commercial to any significant degree.

2 Likes

You guys rock, Jay!

2 Likes

The name of the thread is Treepots (which are square) but the link goes to Deepots which are round.

If you have any chain link, it works great. You build smaller than I did.

But yeah you guys are right, containers work too. The problems is have to fill them completely to keep them upright.

Of course Jay is correct about milk crates but I didn’t know that. They should be tall enough. But, I’d hesitate big-time trying to stand up as many Deepots as necessary to fill one. Here’s another example I did with Deepots.

I don’t know! Hope this helps!

Dax
P.s. My Deepots are white because Stuewe and Sons had some extras in white but normally they are made in black. Cheers.

4 Likes

The chain link was the post I remembered without remembering the important stuff… you know, the chain link.

I’m looking at starting 100 pine trees from seed… pines that can handle some cold and give pine nuts. Chain link will be perfect, I think.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thought occurs to me that with chain link a person could just make a wrap-around, cinch it up with whatever’s handy, and have a holder that’s flexible in size and reasonably portable.

3 Likes

Pinus koraiensis is the main one. It grows when established 9" per year. It does not get any quicker.

Pinus cembra is about the same I think. I’d shoot for koraiensis if that fits your needs.

I have a grafted koraiensis tree that was 4’ tall when I planted it and in maybe a 7-10 gallon pot that’s now 11’ I would say, 11-years later. It was probably a 5-year old graft when I planted it. It’s been coning for at least 5-years I’d say.

Mark, love your idea. That’s big-time.

Dax

3 Likes

I’ve got 50 seeds of both Korean pine and Swiss stone pine coming this way. Everything I’ve seen says the Korean pine is perfect here. The Swiss stone pine was recommended by the MSU extension and remains smaller. 50 seeds for $6. Seems like a no brainer to give em a shot.

Hopefully I’ll get nuts before I’m too old to harvest them!

—————

Dax,

Grafting pine? I‘ve never heard of thus. Thoughts on what I could graft either of the two onto? I have lots of red pine, white pine, Norway and white spruce here.

B

1 Like

Nah, I was once a ornamental grafter.

I’m from the intersection of I-80 and I-74 which very near in Walcott, IA is the world’s largest truck stop. Sorta makes sense. Okay back to grafting.

Where I grew up a man in his 80’s was a founding member of ‘The American Conifer Society’. I became interested in conifer collecting “gardens” - and there was this man right at my back gate. So occasionally rare stuff happens and for example there’s a cultivar of Korean pine Chub found as a seedling just like you’re doing that is blue. He named it ‘Anna’ after his wife. So, ornamental grafting, LT.

Dax
P.s. not that it matters but I have ‘Avocadra’. All it is-is a tree. Same as a seedling. And then I have another graft that I fence every other year and every other year deer attack it. It’s Pinus koraiensis ‘Silveray’ a narrow-upright, selection.

2 Likes

Ouch… I thought I read that deer don’t like Korean pine.

Lord knows I have enough deer here to kill everything I could plant every season. Horned rats!

2 Likes

They don’t touch ‘Avocadra’. Who knows???

1 Like

I’ll be finding out, it seems!