Trellis tensioner alternative

Has anyone ever tried using a strap tensioner on a trellis wire didn’t know how long they would hold up outdoors? I put a quick example together on what I’m talking about.

4 Likes

I use these. Easy to use will last forever. image

Edit: and cheap too!

5 Likes

Haven’t seen those but I’ve only looked on Amazon I’ll check those out the other ones I found were ratchet system but they were $8 a piece. I also found M6 Stainless Steel 304 Eye & Hook Turnbuckle Wire Rope Tension on Amazon for $0.60 a piece. if I put one on each end that ought to give me close to 6 in that I can tension it and my trellises are only 15 ft long anyways

1 Like

The ones I post4ed are $3.00. You only need one per wire. Just string up you r wire the way you want then put this on and tighten, These are used to tension high tensile electric fence wire. You might be overthinking this. Check this out. You can just use a ratchet drive instead of the tool he uses. Patriot In Line Wire Strainer | Patriot - YouTube

3 Likes

Thanks for the timely posts, guys. I had a neighborhood bear amble through one of my Belgian fences last night and the wires are in need of a little tightening. (Not much damage to the trees, happily.)

2 Likes

Probably too late for you but I used “wire vices” I think they were called.
You drill a hole through your post, install the vice, then run the wire thru and pull tight.
A tensioner in the vice holds it…only allows wire to move one direction.

I’ve had them in place for about 4 years now and have not had major slippage. Somewhat to be expected, the wire is sagging some as the muscadine vine has gotten bigger (and/or the posts have moved some).
The trouble I’m finding is trying to tighten the wire. You just have to pull the wire from the end, but that’s easier said than done. I just haven’t tried very hard though.

If it would help, i can post pictures later.

1 Like

I use these. https://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-400-399-Heavy-Strainer-Compression/dp/B0079GH2KO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2B9L6Y75PRRWJ&dchild=1&keywords=fence+strainer&qid=1616729236&sprefix=fence+strainer%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-3

1 Like

That is what I use as well.

What’s wrong with regular old turnbuckles?

I use these with monofilament wire:

1 Like

Murky Can you tell me about the monofilament wire? This just heavy duty fishing line? I’m getting ready to set up some apple espalier trellis. What is the life expectancy? Don’t they degrade in the sun? I found some information that says a ten year life expectancy. I don’t think I would want to re -rig in ten years.

I ended up buying some M6 Stainless Steel 304 Eye & Hook Turnbuckle I found on Amazon for 80 cents a piece it was the most economical thing I found particularly since I only have 15 ft trellises. I also found the tie down straps for $2 a piece I thought that was pretty economical too if I needed to have something tighter just didn’t know if they would hold up in the elements since they’re not galvanized or stainless?

I looked into those but the gadget to tighten the wire if I remember right was $60-80, I had to pass since I don’t have too many trellises.

In high tensile fence construction, they use springs like these.
https://kencove.com/fence/Heavy-Duty+Tension+Spring_detail_HTSHD.php

Combined with these ratchet tighteners.

Trellises benefit from same tech.
In cold weather the steel wire will contract ,somethings got to give ,in this case the spring.
Without the spring ,you will often find a slack wire come springtime .which means something moved over winter , posts ? / dead man anchors ?, or the wire has stretched . Requiring retightening, over the years, Eventually leading to failure.

3 Likes

@figerama

Look up kencove.com for these

Mine are on for 9 years no problem

Mike

1 Like

Some of them heat up enough in the sun to lose their tension. They’re very easy to work with so for short runs and as catch wires they could have some use.

I’m using mine for blackberries and a short run. Probably should have said. One of the benefits is that they don’t require as much tension and have some elasticity.

The monofililament is thicker than steel wire, and oval in cross section. EZ-Wire monofilament for Vineyard and Orchard | Dubois Agrinovation - YouTube

For steel wire I like the look of those springs posted above. Should make it dead simple to gauge correct tension without overdoing it, plus can give a little margin.

1 Like