Tropical fruits forum top five fruits poll results

Most of the fruit I like are from trees that are at least 20-40 ft tall. It will be hard to grow in a green house.

Citrus are considered low bushes compare to lychees, longans or durian trees.

Mango trees come in various sizes. It may be doable in a green house on a dwarf rootstock.

Iā€™m planning to just aggressively prune mine. Even though they can become huge trees, Iā€™ve also seen people successfully keep them small with pruning. I didnā€™t know dwarf rootstocks were an option for mango, though. Do you know any mail-order/online sources of dwarfing mango rootstocks?

I am not knowledgeable in this area because I am too lazy to zone push.

Around here, I have seen Logeeā€™s nursery selling tropical fruit including dwarf mango trees.

Tropical Fruiting Plants for Sale Online at Logee's!.

Here are my favorite tropical fruits from my country Vietnam

1. Langsat

1. Lychee

1. Durian

1. Milk fruit of Vietnam

1. Rose apple

1. custard apple

1. Longan

2. Rambutan

3. Jack fruit

4. Mango

Tony

6 Likes

Tiny.
Custard apple is the same as sugar apple so we like the same fruit.

Re. Langsat, in Thailand, Langsat is the term used for one common variety. The superior and more famous variety is called Longkong (Duku in Indonesia) or lansium parasiticum. Not sure you have these two different varieties or not.

2 Likes

This is an under-appreciated fruit! Everyone goes for the larger, prettier looking cousin, the wax jambu, but this one is so much better tasting. I knew of a huge one growing up in Miami that hung over the sidewalk, and Iā€™d go eat them by the handful when they were in season.

4 Likes

This is so true. There are much better varieties of Mango, Lychee, and Longan that Iā€™ve eaten in Viet Nam that arenā€™t available here with more complex flavors and intense sweetness. They sadly would likely never be grown commercially in Florida due to unattractive colors or seed size.

A very good lychee that we can buy in the US is called Brewster. It has excellent flavor and sweetness with the catch of having a large seed. Look for it around July.

5 Likes

I have not seen rose apples like the one in @tonyOmahaz5ā€™s pic.

Our rose apple are also called Java apples, wax apples, wax jambu.

The green variety is refreshingly sweet while several red ones are sweet/sour. Although I like eating them, they donā€™t make my top 10.

1 Like

Thank you for the info on Duku. I had it in Thailand 25 years ago or something and really liked it, but wasnā€™t sure how to distinguish it. Longkong!

I remember it had a hint of grapefruit flavor. It was before I was into growing fruit, so maybe I had a less sophisticated palate :slight_smile:

I like to look up what is in season by doing a Google search. It doesnā€™t always seem to match what is in season. I went 3 times last year and still havenā€™t been able to try Custard/Sugar Apple. I saw some on the side of the road end of May, but couldnā€™t stop. In August, when they are supposed to be in season, I couldnā€™t find any in Hua Hin.

We go to Phetchaburi which apparently is where great pomelo are grown.

Iā€™m always very busy with work while traveling, and donā€™t tend to get out much. I need to recover from being around people all day, by the time I get back to the hotel.

edit: we posted at the same time. I was going to say the same thing as you about Rose Apple.

Murky,
Longkong is harder to find and pricier than regular Langsat. It definitely tastes better. I will ask my family when it is in season.

Nakorn-pathom, my hometown, is famous for pomeloes. Petchaburi is nextdoor so they can grow them well, too. If you were in Petchaburi, you were in the west of the country. It is famous for Thai desserts. Most orchards are along the eastern seaboard esp. Chanthaburi and Rayong (not Ranong). May and June is the height of (most) fruit season.

2 Likes

My family said Longkongā€™s peak season is July and August.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in Oaxaca at the tail end of a vacation and had the chance to try many tropicals Iā€™ve never eaten before. Some thoughts on the chico sapote in particular:

Absolutely sickening :face_vomiting:, but my girlfriend liked it :joy:. I like sweet potatoes, but find concentrated sweet potato to be nauseating, chico sapote is like unadulterated sweet potato syrup. YMMV of course :wink:

My number one takeaway from the trip is that thereā€™s a good reason thereā€™s a standard array of fruits at most U.S. grocery stores: theyā€™re some of the best! Cherimoya is a great example of the other side of the coin, being too hard to transport, but after fruit hunting super hard in Oaxaca Iā€™ve noticed my favorites here are my favorites in the US :person_shrugging:. I do like Cherimoya a lot, but feel like pawpaw can scratch that itch.

My mission to grow mangos in a thermal greenhouse in z7a has only strengthened, though. The mangos here are out of this world!

Just for fun, some notable fruit ratings from Oaxaca:

10/10: mangos, passion fruit (HUGELY dependent on variety)
9/10: cherimoya
8/10: soursop, many interesting bananas

6/10: mamey sapote (like the pumpkin part of pumpkin pie, but a little more fruity), black sapote (I guess like lightly flavored pudding? Very unique and interesting)
5/10: star fruit (almost identical to a Granny Smith apple in so many ways)

4/10: Nance/hogberry (kind of cheesy, girlfriend hated it, I enjoyed it)

1/10: Mexican guava (guayaba)
0/10: Hawthorne, chico sapote, some passion fruits (insanely sour with a gross aftertaste)

4 Likes

Are you sure you tried Chico sapote aka Sapodilla (Manilkara zapota)? Sweet potato syrup is how folks describe Mamey sapote (Pouteria sapota). I heard Green sapote (Pouteria viridis) has similar flavor. Unfortunately ā€œsapoteā€ is a common name attached to many species that cause confusion. I see that you already have mamey in your list, so may be there is no confusion.

To my taste buds, if I close my eyes, I canā€™t tell the difference between a well-ripened Hachiya persimmon and Chico sapote in terms of smell and flavor. Chico is more gritty in texture but the new varieties have smooth flesh. I didnā€™t realize this until a friend pointed it out to me and now I can clearly see the similarity.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never had Durian, but I kind of like to think the people in the poll want it to plant at their nemesisā€™s house. Like a tropical, female ginko. Iā€™ve had Lychee from the fancy grocery store. It probably wasnā€™t a prime specimen, but I thought it was pretty good. I looked up where it growsā€¦and I donā€™t have a heated green house, so thatā€™s not happening. I didnā€™t realize Longan was something different. I planted three Pawpaw seedlings last year; thatā€™s probably about as close to tropical as Iā€™ll ever be able to get.

1 Like

Tippy, after eating so many pomeloā€™s that I grow, I go along with you. The 2 varieties that I grow are very very good, I enjoy eating them. The ones that I grow are big but I can eat one without stopping.
Many purest citrus members donā€™t think much of the ones I grow, oh well!

5 Likes

That is a different species (Syzygium samarangense), and very inferior in flavor to the one Tony posted (Syzygium jambos).

In my opinion, S. samarangense is hardly in my top 100 (might even be in my bottom 10), but S. jambos is very sweet and tastes strongly of rose water, and probably in my top 10, definitely at least top 15 for tropical fruits.

2 Likes

Exactly what you described. I loved this fruits . My cousin had 2 trees in Long beach , California.

Tony

6 Likes

I just triple checked to make sure the locals werenā€™t mixing them up and it was indeed chico. I definitely do taste some sweet potato flavors in the mamey, but Iā€™d call them flavors instead of a concentrate.

1 Like

Tony, I never had that fruit ever, pretty flowers, I might put this fruit on my wish list, Iā€™ll bet the flowers are fragrant.

Yes. You should be able to grow it in Southern California.