Tropical fruits forum top five fruits poll results

Wikipedia says this about the flowers:

The flowers are described by some as fragrant, though this appears to be a variable attribute.

1 Like

I have not seen that rose apples before. It’s interesting.

This is the best time to shop at Vietnamese or Chinese markets because of the upcoming Chinese and Vietnamese New Year. Lot of exotic fruit have showed up.

I saw this Milk fruit at the store yesterday.

6 Likes

YES!!! More every day. I was all fired up to go right about the time Covid hit. Now that that is becoming less of an issue, my desires to going to Thailand and perhaps neighboring countries is growing again. I spend so many hours watching Youtube videos of those areas its crazy. So Steven, just let me know when your family is ready to go and maybe you can pack me in a suitcase too!

My only issue is how much I hate long flights. I can barely stand to take a flight from TN to the western USA. I’d be soooo miserable on a flight to Thailand. Its even worse for me because there are certainly no direct flights from Nashville so having to do a layover of several hours means that me going Thailand would end up being a 24 hour total travel time from most of the schedules I’ve seen. YUCK!

Now if only I could afford one of those United Emerites $20,000 first class tickets, I’d be fine!!! Have you guys seen their version of first class? Its INSANE!!! You get to take showers, have a full mini-cabin area with a door that closes, a real bed that lays flat, a menu you can’t believe, its just crazy how incredible they are. Then again, even if I won the lottery, I don’t think I could ever live with paying $20k for a 13 hour airline flight. But its fun to dream.

3 Likes

@mamuang My wife and I went to Phuket on our honeymoon 5 years ago. Thailand is beautiful and the people are amazing! The coconut is hands down the best in the world. The variety of delicious fruits is jaw dropping. Such a wonderful country!

3 Likes

The description of this Rose Apple says slightly bitter, is it true.

i would say mildy acrid would be more descriptive. Fruit has to mature on the tree. When finally achieves its darkest hue possible is when it loses acridity, and has the most sugar.

3 Likes

Even before reading “Haitian neighborhood”, I immediately thought of Madame Francis/Francique after seeing that photo.

1 Like

As noted above, I think bananas get taken for granted. But with only one exception, I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t really enjoy Dwarf Brazilian (AKA Hawaiian Apple) bananas. And there are many other varieties that are a lot tastier than any Cavendish banana, which most of us are familiar with.

Are bananas my favorite fruit? No, that would probably be mangos, but boy, when you factor in that they have their own wrapper and don’t require any tools (knives, spoons, etc.) to eat, they are definitely in my top 10. And top 1 for convenience and low hassle growing.

5 Likes

Hey Mark any idea where I could get a pup of Dwarf Brazilian banana?

1 Like

Good question Steve. Seems like the two most reputable sellers from the days when I was establishing my collection (Going Bananas and We Be Bananas) no longer ship banana plants. Maybe someone here has some current sources.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, my middle child and his family (wife and two boys, 5 and 8) moved to Hawaii 1 1/2 years ago. The 5-yr old fell in love with Hawaiian Apple bananas, while turning his nose up at the usual fare.

Over Xmas and New Year’s, my wife and I visited. When I found out about the banana passion, of course I had to buy and plant one. The 8-yr old helped dig the hole. The 5-year old is assigned the job of watering, which he has accepted willingly and so far is discharging reliably. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well ripened Nishimura Wase is very similar to Sapota. It even looks similar.

3 Likes

Have you tasted these Sapodilla varieties from Florida like Alano or Butterscotch?

1 Like

Not yet.
Are they very different from the usual varieties?

That’s what I’m told but haven’t tried them yet

@murky, @fruitnut , @thecityman or others who are interested in taking a trip to Thailand (or Southeast Asia), here is when tropical fruit in the area hit markets. (I only list fruit that are more well-known and a couple that are not but I like them a lot.

Jan - Indian jujubes, rose apple
Feb- toddy palm seeds, Manila Tamarind/Madras Thorn (pithecellobium dulce). Love these two fruit.
Mar - Marian plum
Apr - durian, lychee
May - durian, mangosteen, rambutan, dragon fruit
June - durian, mangosteen, pineapple
July- pomelo, sugar apple/custard apple, pineapple
Aug - pomelo, sugar apple/custard apple, longan, longkong, pineapple
Sep - pomelo, longkong, passion fruit
Oct - longkong, passion fruit, jackfruit
Nov - passion fruit, sapodilla
Dec - passion fruit, sapodilla

Best time to go for fruit is May- July.
Banana, mango, papaya are available all year round

11 Likes

mamuang, thank you for providing the list. I’ve searched Google a number of times, but didn’t use a go-to site.

One of my Facebook acquaintances posted Marian plum and I’d resolved to try it, but forgotten. Thanks for the reminder. I think I will be in Thailand while it is in season.

Last year I had no luck finding custard or sugar apple at local markets in Hua Hin in August :frowning: I did see some on the side of the road while in a tuktuk with a group of non-fruit-enthusiasts (aka regular people) on the way to dinner - so no chance to stop.

Any advice on trying Marian plum for the first time?

Try the supermarket on the ground floor of Siam Paragon Center on Rama I Road in Bangkok. You can find most fruit there.

2 Likes

I may not get around in Bangkok, probably straight to Hua Hin.

I think I’ll try Huana Market. Looks like they had one of them 2 years ago at 0:50 into the video:

Easy tuktuk ride.

1 Like

I have been to Hua Hin a few times but ended up in Cha-Am, the next door resort town, more often than Hua Hin.

Re. Marian plums in Thailand, there are 3 cousins.

• Ma-pring (มะปริง) smallest of the three. When ripe, it is green. It is very sour. Often eaten when pickled or with sauce. I used to be able to eat it but my poor teeth cannot handle it any more.

• Ma-prang (มะปราง), larger. When ripe, it turns yellow. Some varieties are sweet, several are quite sour.

• Ma-yong Chid (มะยงชิด). The largest of the three. When ripe, it turns yellowish orange. If picked ripe, they should be sweet. The most popular among the three.

There is some chemical in Marian plums that causes throat itchiness to many people. I suffered more itchy throat eating Ma-prang than when eating Ma-yong Chid. You need to be aware of this.

These fruit have colorful skin and flesh and beautiful purple seeds. It is amazing how Mother Nature creates them.

Hope you can figure this chart out.

3 Likes