Tropical fruits

of course @mamuang! We had a huge tree in the boondocks. Difficult to climb as the trunk was large, and the fruit bearing branches were wispy thin. It is actually called manila tamarind by some. Home depot sells it sometimes and is named as is: guamuchil.

you’re right, you’d have to think of it as a nutty produce, and not as a fruity produce. Some varieties are overly-nutty with pronounced bitterness, while some are quite sweet. May also depend on climate conditions around maturity of pods

1 Like

muntingia is one of those trees which need further scientific scrutiny due to its ability to bear fruit growing on rock crevices. It may be a tree but it has epiphytic abilities like orchids, amazingly able to extract nutrients out of solid rocks and hardly any soil. I sometimes suspect it can extract nutrients out of thin air, lol! Perhaps nitrogen.

orchids do grow on rocks and bark, but orchids grow very slowly. Muntingia grows remarkably fast in the same conditions and even bears fruit.

1 Like

@jujubemulberry
(“I sometimes suspect it can extract nutrients out of thin air, lol!”)

Air plant on a wire.

I suspect that bird had something to do with it ?

3 Likes

lol! pineapples are tillandsia cousins. The first bioengineering lab to genetically modify pineapples to perform such high wire circus acts and bear fruits deserves a nobel imo :smile:
definitely takes “vertical farming” to a whole new level

2 Likes

A closer look of Makam Tate. The redder the flesh, the sweeter it tastes. My sister said the season is from the end of Dec to the end of March.

2 Likes

I have one guamuchil tree on pot but she didn’t give fruit yet.

1 Like

I’ll be inteesed in hearing how big your tree will grow. In a suitable environment, it can grow 40-50 ft tall.

Also, there are several varieties. Some are sweet, good eating. Others are spitters. Wish yours is a good one.

1 Like

I will post all the updates here: My small fruit tree orchard

Yes i hope my tree gives good fruits and adapt to weather here! :grin:

1 Like